Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Just Another Mojave Road Trip Report

Because you can't have too much of a good thing, right?

Figured I would add mine to the pile, because I enjoyed each and everyone's pictures while planning for this trip. We started at the Colorado River. Here is the map/stats from Day 1.

Started with a dip in the river. Here is the group shot, ready to get on the trail.

Luckily we spotted this guy before heading down to the river

Loved being chased by OJ down the trail

So in the other most recent Mojave Road thread we discussed the closed road and how you are supposed to go around. There is some remarks written in sharpie on the sign about it being a "soft closure" and how short/medium wheelbases are fine. Needless to say, we opted for the good views that were promised up top.

Overall it wasn't too bad getting up there. Definitely more of the technical terrain we encountered on the trail, which we really enjoyed. We didn't get out of our vehicles once for spotting on the way up. Two very off camber sections were the worst of it.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

Hardest part of Day one was going down Watson Wash. Here is the view from teh top

Clif going down

After that we stopped at the bus for lunch

Quick stop at rock springs

Found a camp spot down a 4x4 trail behind hole in the wall

Hiked up the hill behind us

Settled in for the night

Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Day two was a long one, and even longer than the map below, because we searched around for a campsite at the end for a while.

We stated out completing a a little 4x4 trail around hole in the wall. It ended up being one of the most scenic parts and we really enjoyed it.

Then headed to hole in the wall. So this on our walk.

Hole in the wall was a nice 1 mile loop, nothing mindblowing but cool none the less.

The next part of the road to to the mailbox was full of woops and had everything in the van shaking and bouncing around. We were taking them probably faster then necessary, but was definitely the least favorite part of the road.

Next up was the lava tube rock detour. Ended up getting there around 1 pm or so, which seemed to be a good time.

It was at this point we realized that either the Bronco's 4x4 stopped working or was never working. either way, we think it had something to do with the auto hubs not engaging. front hubs were very hot to the touch. This was on some 4x4 ofshoot trail before soda lake.

Soda Lake was nice and hard for the most part

Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Awesome pics in the lava tubes. Reminds me of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark with the beam of light.

Herb
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Nice, you did the watson wash with much less hesitation!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlite View Post
Nice, you did the watson wash with much less hesitation!
After watching the F150 and Bronco go down it, I had a pretty good idea about how to approach it. We almost turned around to try and go up it, which would be quite the challenge. Next time we do it, we want to go west to east, just for that reason.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #7

Continuing on day two, we took a detour out to the Rasor OHV area. Had some fun in the dunes.

Then it was off to find a campsite just before Afton canyon. We cruised around some of the 4x4 roads for a little bit.

Campsite wasnt much, but we were perched up a little bit and had a good view all around us

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

Day 3 we skipped breakfast to get to the water crossing before the two other groups we saw got there.

Stopped for a photo before the bridge and a train showed up.

As we approached the water crossing, a truck was heading east and said it was as deep as he'd ever seen it. Thanks for the confidence booster!

Ended up being about tire height. Definitely got up on the body of the van. We were the most worried about the Bronco

I went last, and it was a blast.

Overall the trip was an amazing time. As far as 4x4 adventures go, it had a lot to offer. Bumpy, steep, sand. rocky and water. Definitely recommend getting off the main road for some of the side trails, as some of those were our favorite parts. Can't wait to do it again!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Garage
Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Thanks for the detailed report. I want to do that run again one of these days. I missed several sites along the route that I want to visit plus there are a few other trails worth running in the area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote