Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

King of the Hammers / Tierra Del Sol

I'm planning on attending this years King of the Hammers race and the Tierra Del Sol off-road event. This will be my first time attending these events. I've heard that both can get a bit crowded and a little crazy. Two things I generally avoid.

It looks like the camping areas for both are fairly large and you can spread out a bit. Not having been before, I'm hoping to find camping spots that are a bit more on the fringe as opposed to right in the middle of all the activity.

I don't mind moving around a bit to actually watch the races or to do a trail run or two and I'm thinking about bringing my fat tire MTN bike to get me around if it's better to keep a spot once I've found a good one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thx

Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #2

A MTB is an excellent toy to bring. As for camping, Johnson valley is huge, and avoiding the crush of humanity is as easy as driving away from Hammer town into the desert a ways. You will never avoid everyone, but you don't need to camp door to door with other fans. Be sure to bring some firewood as there is none there. As a matter of fact, bring everything you need as there is no water, electricity or much food to speak of. There are a few food vendors, but lines can be long and there may be a lack of variety. Keep a look out for my white GTRV with the Alaska plates GR8ADV I try to park for at least a day or two, a ways up the hill from the start line / pits, along the fence. That way I can sit in the van to watch the cars go by, and it's a short walk to the start line and Hammer town. From there, day trips to other viewing spots are easy. If your up for a trail ride after the race, Chris Ridgway and I are planning something, were just not sure where yet, but perhaps Death Valley, the Mojave trail or elsewhere.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. & thanks for the invite. I'm meeting my wife in Palm Springs Friday afternoon, as we are doing the Tour of Palm Springs bike ride on Saturday. Otherwise, I'd join you on your trail ride. I'll be in a silver 2011 EB 350 with CCV top. My plate is the same as my avatar. I'll keep an eye out for you... Thx
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 PM   #4

Will be going, I usually camp by Backdoor out on the flats.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #5

I’ll be out there too. My group from Bakersfield camps about 1 -1.5 miles southwest of Hammertown. Silver E350 with Aluminess gear.
Odontobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Garage
I'm planning to be out at KOH but will likely be working with 4WP and I doubt I will have the van. Would like to catch up with people out there either way

I've heard that some land use restrictions surrounding the event are in place and may be enforced. Will try to find a reliable source for more info.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Back door is probably the best and flatest.
A cool trail would be on the other side going up to Big Bear Onyx Peak, maybe thru Rattlesnake canyon. Check it out and see if it is not to rough! If you can make it to Pioneertown the Cajun Catfish sandwich is awesome at Papi & Harriets!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Back door is probably the best and flatest.
A cool trail would be on the other side going up to Big Bear Onyx Peak, maybe thru Rattlesnake canyon. Check it out and see if it is not to rough! If you can make it to Pioneertown the Cajun Catfish sandwich is awesome at Papi & Harriets!
Looking at it on Google Earth and looking at some of the YouTube videos of Hammertown, it looks like I'd have to go around the back way to get to Backdoor. Or, should there be enough room to go in from the front side?

I'm not going out until Wednesday, so I know it will already be pretty crowded.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

It changes because of growth. They way I have gone is once in the check gate head towards Bender Alley/Wrecking Ball north easterly once past Hammer town go due west. Two years ago they had a Jumbotron just north of the Sledge I think it was near Wrecking Ball entrance but that got pretty crowded. I tried to attach a map I have had since the early races but it exceeds the upload limits. PM me with and email and I can send it that way!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #10

PM Sent...

Thanks