Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Kokopelli Mtn Bike Ride

We just completed our 4th annual mtn bike ride from Moab to Fruita. The ride is about 140 miles and takes a fairly scenic and indirect route. This year we had nine riders and 3 support vehicles. We were glad to have the SMB! We stuffed so much gear in that thing it was crazy! The temps were pretty warm this year and needless to say the exterior shower was a huge hit with everyone! Between drinking water,dish water, and shower water we averaged about 45 gallons of water a day usage. Here are a couple of pics:

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Kokopelli Mtn Bike Ride

I thought all you professional cyclists had sponsored uniforms? You must be taking the picture because I see no Sportsmobile logos on anyone in the picture Looks like you had a good time

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #3

Very nice. Trips like that are what SMB were made for. Hope to make that same trip myself in the next few years.
R
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks! So far I am pleased to not be cursed with the somewhat common SMB saggy butt when loaded. We had a full fuel tank, propane tank, 35 gallons of water 3 passengers, and 6 peoples camping bags, chairs,sunshades etc. It didn't sag a bit. I wish I could say the same for my Xterra pictured above. Here is a pic loaded:

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #5

If you are looking for another couple of riders and an additional SMB next year, let me know. I have been really interested in doing this ride, but would love to do it with a group that is experienced. I am right down the road from you in Durango.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #6

Wow those bike racks stick out a mile behind your rigs!!!
Here in Europe we have a max overhang and have to have lights fitted to the rack...
I which I could get hold of a US type hitch for my van...
But regulations are tricky here...

Nice biking terrain
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #7

Heh, heh. Here we can tow a travel trailer and slap a hitch on that an tow a boat with the trailer, put a hitch on that and flat tow a Jeep with a bike rack that sticks out 10' and has no lights. As long as it doesn't exceed the max weight for the first vehicle and there are aux brakes, I think the limit is something like 65' of total length. Good stuff.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #8

I agree they do stick out a long way. It is a tradeoff between convenience and the bikes well being. I also don't like having a $16,000 "bumper" (4 bikes) for someone to slam into.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Heh, heh. Here we can tow a travel trailer and slap a hitch on that an tow a boat with the trailer, put a hitch on that and flat tow a Jeep with a bike rack that sticks out 10' and has no lights. As long as it doesn't exceed the max weight for the first vehicle and there are aux brakes, I think the limit is something like 65' of total length. Good stuff.
Well, except there are a number of moving violations that you could be cited for at least in Calif (non-visible rear license plate, lack of a red flag on items extending more than 4' beyone tail-lamps, no red lamps if driven at night and extending more than 4' beyond tail-lamps...). With the budget deficit in Calif, I'm sure someone would write you up for every conceivable violation to generate the revenue for the state. Hopefully that's not the situation in CO.

Herb