Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #1

Labrador / Newfoundland

Mike (aka: Ford_6L_E350) - I saw your post on TwoLost's trip report, but did not want to hijack the thread. I have spent much time researching a trip to Labrador / Newfoundland and would love to head that direction some day.

Any tidbits you can post regarding your trip would be appreciated. What route did you take?

We were in Alaska this year too (ran into TwoLost a couple times) and would love to experience the far NE as well.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

This is going to be a memory test.

We drove up the north side of the St. Lawrence to Baie Comeau and turned north on 389. Be sure and allow some time on this road. We saw 3 logging trucks upside down in the ditches!!! A ways up, we found a fishing camp and spent the night. Primitive, but they had a shower heated with propane.

If you can, spend some time at the big dam (the name escapes me, but it has a 5 (cinque) in it's name). It seems like there was a 20% grade going up the side of the dam.

Northern Quebec and Labrador are the only places that are less populated than Alaska. Some really empty country here. Until you wander off the main (only) road and find small native homes next to little lakes. You enter an iron mining town (Labrador City) at the Labrador border. It's a couple of hundred miles to the next town (Churchill Falls). If you can, take the tour of the power plant - several hundred feet underground!!

A couple of hundred more miles to Goose Bay. Tour the base, it is an alternate landing strip for the Space Shuttle. At Goose Bay we boarded a ferry for a 40 hour trip to Newfoundland. I understand the ferry is no more, and now you can drive south to a short ferry crossing. Wish we could have driven that part.

Newfoundland is more populated and you will have many, many choices of things to see and do. And many campgrounds to choose from. We simply meandered, stopping at many provincial parks - all of it good. You really can't go wrong on Newfoundland. You will find alot of water. In some place it really seems water simply comes out of the rocks. We found some wooden walkways to take you away from the road and to see local sights. If not for the wooden walkways you would have to wade or swim.

Be sure and take your passport and take a ferry from Fortune on south of Newfoundland to a French territory, St. Pierre et Miquelon. They speak French, have French cars and use Euro's for currency. Spend a night or two.

Just outside of St. John's is the eastern most point in North America. Well worth a stop.

You might enjoy the air museum in Gander, and maybe the memorial to 248 US servicemen killed in a plane wreck just outside Gander.

Eventually, we worked ourselves around the island to Port Aux Basques, the ferry point back to the mainland. Before you catch the ferry, take the road to the end at Rose Blanc. We talked to some of the locals and got a lesson in the history of the local Cod industry.

Just when I talked myself into going back to Alaska, you have to cause me to remember Labrador and Newfoundland. Sure is worth a visit. Now I have to decide if it is worth a return visit or if we should go back to Alaska.

Thanks alot!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #3

Thanks Mike. That's great information. I know I'm a couple years away from being able to manage the time to take that trip, but I'll file away your suggestions for when the time comes.

Let us know if you decide on Alaska or Newfoundland. These are good decisions to have to make.

Phil

Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #4

Phil,

Where in the Bay Area are you?

We are 2 blocks from Santa Clara U.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

I actually went to school at Santa Clara. I now live up in San Ramon. I seldom get down your way, but let me know if you ever get up this way and maybe we can get together.

Phil