Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Lost Coast

Planning a trip to the Lost Coast of California for mid November. Never been there, could use some advice from someone who knows something about it.

There doesn't seem to be much choice in roads--which is good. What's the best way to explore the area by SMB? Where to go, and, more importantly, where not to go.

Thanks
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #2

Re: Lost Coast

Here are a few links
viewtopic.php?p=51301#p51301
viewtopic.php?p=34256#p34256
viewtopic.php?p=23652#p23652

I will be there in mid August for a ham radio event. Here is the link to a description that has a lot of information about the area.
http://web.me.com/charliesikes/CM79_DxP ... rview.html

There is a link to a map on this page
http://web.me.com/charliesikes/CM79_DxP ... Links.html

After you digest that information, let me know what other questions you have.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

I did a very similar route as Charlie's 3rd link he posted, which was "twolost's" trip report. I went through there late May of this year.

Traveled North to South coming in from just south of Redcrest off of 101, to Lower Bull Creek Flats Rd, to Bull Creek Flats Rd, turns into Mattole Rd. which I took to town of Honeydew. From there I took Wilder Ridge Rd south, and connected with Kings Peak Rd. Took this all the way to Shelter Cover where I camped and abalone dove. Tolkan Campsite (off of Kings Peak Rd., near shelter cove) was very nice, and I was the only one there. Super sick mountain bike trail (Paradise Royale Trail), so if you ride, you don't want to miss this trail.

Next day, continued south on Chemise Mountain Rd, which turns into Usal Rd., this takes you all the way back to hwy 1 after passing Usal Beach.

It is a very beautiful and easy trail, but there are many old logging roads that can make it confusing so keep on your toes. I did get myself going the wrong way at one point and eventually figured it out before getting myself in trouble. I did come across a downed Tan Oak tree and had to bend it (this thing wasn't going anywhere) out of the way with the van, tie it off to another tree so it wouldn't go back into the road. Only one section was muddy (late may) and uphill, but that was more fun than challenging.

Keep in mind that this is all very isolated redwood jungle with steep coastal mountains. I only saw one other rig on my 2 days on this trip. The only other person I saw was by himself on a dirtbike that lived in one of these small towns (population 20) and he was definitely wondering what I was doing out there. This is smack in the heart of the "emerald triangle" and the people here support their economy by growing the smelly sticky green stuff, so keep in mind where you boondock (if that's your plan) and be weary of local farmers.

Hope you have a great trip, it's truly amazing country that hardly sees people traveling through it and I guarantee you will be in love with it.
Warn 12K
Extreme Air Mag
goblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

It is a great place to visit.

http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/2 ... ost-coast/

Try to hit Eureka and the Lost Coast Brewery.