Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #21

I learned that the Thetford's are pretty well-built units. My wife has a small bladder so on the road I ended up leaving the unit out of its cupboard and just left it in the middle of the floor in our RB50 layout van. This worked well until an emergency stop sent the unit tumbling forward. It came to rest upside down near us after knocking the transfer case into neutral. I feared the worst but nothing leaked out at all. The porta-potti now goes back where it belongs after every use.

Agree on the 5 Star Tune. I'm running the 91 octane tune now since gas prices are somewhat lower. I'm not seeing much of an increase in mileage but the van feels so much better.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
Site Team

Great report. Great pictures. I will never make this trip since my SMB is two wheel drive, so I will have to settle for living vicariously through your trip report. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #23

Phil,

Great trip report. Do you by any chance have photos of the above passenger door grab handle and details of how you mounted it? My wife, too, would like such a thing.

Thanks.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Phil,

Great trip report. Do you by any chance have photos of the above passenger door grab handle and details of how you mounted it? My wife, too, would like such a thing.

Thanks.
I'm traveling on business now and don't have a picture of it. I'll try to remember to take one when I get back and post it.

I pulled a sampling of handles from various wrecks at the Pick&Pull. I don't recall what vehicle the one I used came from. I drilled into some structural steal in the area above the passenger window, installed a couple nutserts and just screwed it in. My wife used it quite a bit on that trip while 4wheeling and it didn't pull out, so all's good!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Phil,

Thanks.
I found this action photo of it in use on this trip I cropped down.

I pulled a sampling of handles from various wrecks at the Pick&Pull. I don't recall what vehicle the one I used came from. I drilled into some structural steal in the area above the passenger window, installed a couple nutserts and just screwed it in. My wife used it quite a bit on that trip while 4wheeling and it didn't pull out, so all's good!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2588.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote