Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #171

Meet and Greet at Valley of Fire, October 7-9,2011

I wish you all an enjoyable and safe weekend.

Larrie
89 Ford RB

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #172

Re: Meet and Greet at Valley of Fire, October 7-9,2011

Mac: The Bitter Springs Scenic Byway is only suitable for 4WD? My SMB is 2WD and not lifted.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #173
Site Team

I have gone on the Byway in my 2WD Suburban that is not lifted. The only possible problem is sand in some washes. But there will be enough 4WD rigs there to pull anyone out if they get stuck. There is no rock crawling on this road. It's just a dirt road that may be rocky in some spots and sandy in others. But mostly it's a pretty good road. I will call the BLM office this morning to find out the current conditions of the road.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #174
Site Team

Garage

Oh oh Oh I want to use my recovery gear and put my winch training to use.

really the only thing I would worry about is parts that hang down or body moldings. My dad drove a 2wd chevy all over the desert and never was stuck.

My Co2 will air up a couple sets of tires and Im sure that we have alot of on board air set ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaavedrav
Mac: The Bitter Springs Scenic Byway is only suitable for 4WD? My SMB is 2WD and not lifted.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #175
Site Team

I went out to the Valley of Fire in the morning a few weeks ago to finalize a few things for the Meet and Greet. On the way out, near the Bitter Springs Byway turnoff, I saw a small car out in the middle of the desert. It seemed strange to me, so I drove out to check on it. When I got near the vehicle two heads popped up from the ground outside the vehicle. It was a twenty-something couple. They ran to me and asked if I could pull their Mazda 3 out of a ditch. They had been stuck out there since the day before. I pulled them out, unhooked my tow strap, and they immediately drove off without saying a word of thanks or offering to help put away my recovery gear. What's with some young people these days? Didn't their mothers teach them the magic words?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #176
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I went out to the Valley of Fire in the morning a few weeks ago to finalize a few things for the Meet and Greet. On the way out, near the Bitter Springs Byway turnoff, I saw a small car out in the middle of the desert. It seemed strange to me, so I drove out to check on it. When I got near the vehicle two heads popped up from the ground outside the vehicle. It was a twenty-something couple. They ran to me and asked if I could pull their Mazda 3 out of a ditch. They had been stuck out there since the day before. I pulled them out, unhooked my tow strap, and they immediately drove off without saying a word of thanks or offering to help put away my recovery gear. What's with young people these days? Didn't their mothers teach them the magic words?
That's sad to hear.

Unfortunately, it's behavior like this that makes some people charge money to help people in similar situations.

Hopefully, Karma will repay you for your generosity, and repay them for their discourtesy.

Herb
Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #177

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

It really only matters that you helped them. Im sure they were great full.

Still its nice to hear.

Ron
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #178
Site Team

Just had number 27 RSVP. VANquisher, from Reno, will be joining us on Friday.

Make that 28. Tapatio will be joining us on Saturday.

Since there are only 28 campsites in the Arch Rock CG, we will either take them all (if all of the stars align for that) or share sites in Arch . . . or we will spread out with some in Arch CG, some in Atlatal CG and some in the Group Site I reserved. Thank goodness I got the Group Site as an overflow. I'm hoping we don't have to use it since it is about a mile away from the other two campgrounds. But at least it is there if needed.

I'm not worried about finding a spot for everyone, although I did have a dream the other night that when I got to the VofF the entire campground was taken by people at a married couples retreat. Almost everyone coming said they are willing to share their space and/or are flexible on where they stay. Actually it will be fun seeing all of those rigs in such a beautiful area. I hope we get some absolutely gorgeous pictures of everyone and their rigs.

Is this cool or what?

So, anyone else going to join us? I'm still waiting to hear back from danamrak, stiggs, Advanturetrek and witoke.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #179

I have an air compressor and a generator to run it, so if anyone airs down, I can air it back up in just a couple of minutes/van. '

Gooseberry - save your CO2!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #180
Site Team

Daveb, you must have a lot of pull with the weather Gods. The highs on Thursday and Friday will be in the 60's with the possibility of rain. The highs on Saturday and Sunday will be in the high 70's with clear skies. Of course, the rain in the desert usually comes in short cloud bursts and flash floods. Then it's perfect after that. Today in Vegas we've had a wonderful lightning and thunder storm. They showed some great pictures of the lightning on the evening news.