Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Mexico Insurance??

Been doing some research for the upcoming BAJA trip and can't find an insurance company that will cover even 50% of the value of the van. Tried all the names mentioned in previous threads. Any others out there that anyone can think of that have not been mentioned before.

Most have said Kelly or Nada value (which we know is very little) + 10,000-20,000 for options max and receipts are needed for the 10-20k. Then they depreciate from the receipts.

Even at that they all seemed unsure.

Should have started this research awhile ago....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

Re: Mexico Insurance??

There was a thread on the VW syncro site recently about just this. There were people who had apparently been able to get an 'agreed value' policy with no trouble. If you try the VW site you should be able to find it.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

I'll check the VW site.

Ramsey and Carol just sent me a couple other options. Had a quick conversation with Ramsey's contact today and it's sounds about as close as I am going to get. Going to get their policy in writing in the morning and get it done.

Brenda at Mexus 760-357-3196 is who I spoke with today.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #4

The nice friendly people at Discover Baja actually got me full coverage last time (two years ago) for our van.
But I'm sure you've already went that route, and if Ramsey doesn't have any good contacts, then it probably doesn't exist.

Have fun, I'm VERY jealous.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Update: Ramsey's contact at Mexus Insurance Services in Calexico at 760-357-8800 worked out to be the best coverage for my needs. They are offering a discount to other travelers in our group.

The 4-5 places I tried were all over the place in price and coverage. I got one quote at high as $850.00 for two weeks coverage.

My policy ended up at $377.00 for two weeks with as full coverage as I could get. Of course there is a 55 page disclaimer/exclusive document they sent but I feel about as good as I can about it now.

There is a bold line exclusion that you are not covered unless you are on a main paved or dirt road....

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

I know it's too late, but I've used Lewis & Lewis when down there with our Sporty a few years back. Full coverage for it's market value. Next go around, I went with Baja Bound (truck and camper). Again, full coverage for it's combined market value. I didn't need to use either one either time, fortunately, so I can't comment on whether they actually pay out without a big hassle or not. However, others on Baja Nomad have had claims and the report then was Baja Bound settled up without any big issues. I don't recall any non-paved road exclusions either. Perhaps it was buried in the fine print, but I don't think so. Perhaps things have changed.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #7

It blows my mind how many people travel down south with all that's been going on, the media doesn't even began to accurately report on 25% of it. I'm Hispanic with family down south hell even have family that own ranches down south that WILL NOT GO BACK. We have expensive custom rigs that might as well be big neon signs saying to the CETA I have money. Even if the so called insurance co tells you that they will cover the value of your rig....good luck collecting from them lol. With all the other beautiful places to travel Mexico will be one I will avoid. Safe travels
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

... and, don't drink the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
It blows my mind how many people travel down south with all that's been going on, the media doesn't even began to accurately report on 25% of it. I'm Hispanic with family down south hell even have family that own ranches down south that WILL NOT GO BACK. We have expensive custom rigs that might as well be big neon signs saying to the CETA I have money. Even if the so called insurance co tells you that they will cover the value of your rig....good luck collecting from them lol. With all the other beautiful places to travel Mexico will be one I will avoid. Safe travels
Buck

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Buck, the only issue we've ever had in Baja is with folks from the US. I feel safer in Baja than, say So Cal. Maybe we've just been lucky, but I don't think so. Great place with great people.