Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Re: Moab 4x4 trails, Mtn. Bike Trails and Camping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Working on a Moab trip. I am looking to overnight camp on the Mtn Bike Trails and off road trails up there. It's been 20 years since I have ridden up there and like to find some good trails that I can do all of the above on.

Ideally find a few good 4x4 trails to camp on and ride from.

Thoughts/info?

The http://www.discovermoab.com website has great info but not seeing a good reference on doing all of the above on the same trails.
I am also planning a trip to Moab this spring for some epic mtn biking (work is trying to mess up my schedule so it is still up in the air for now). It will be my first time there so I am interested to hear how your trip goes.

ldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

Maybe I'm getting old but I find PR a beat-down even with 5" of full squish and not really that compelling unless it's combined with the higher elevation stuff. Dropping 7,000' and riding through the different elevation/vegetation zones makes it more of a full meal deal and truly unique.
Yes, the upper stuff especially UPS/LPS is the cat's pajamas. It would be less inviting if it were just the original lower section, although if you've never ridden any of it, the lower section is a workout with some nice views of castle valley.....it's all relative....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:

Maybe I'm getting old but I find PR a beat-down even with 5" of full squish and not really that compelling unless it's combined with the higher elevation stuff. Dropping 7,000' and riding through the different elevation/vegetation zones makes it more of a full meal deal and truly unique.
Yes, the upper stuff especially UPS/LPS is the cat's pajamas. It would be less inviting if it were just the original lower section, although if you've never ridden any of it, the lower section is a workout with some nice views of castle valley.....it's all relative....
Indeed. The views of Castle Valley are amazing. I did my geology MS work in Moab in the late 80s but rode my bike most of the time. I think I still am in recovery from one too many fully rigid rides down Porcupine.

But back on topic, since the OP is a photographer no doubt he's going to need to visit the vista from Deadhorse Point. I haven't ridden the new trails that are nearby but here's some info: http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails ... -Park.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #14

All good info Gents!! Having the first meeting with the group about the trip as we speak......this info is very useful. Keep it coming....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Indeed. The views of Castle Valley are amazing. I did my geology MS work in Moab in the late 80s but rode my bike most of the time. I think I still am in recovery from one too many fully rigid rides down Porcupine.
....and I thought I've been riding there a long time.....my first trip was in 1992. I was traveling for work and flew into Moab for the weekend, rented a bike, rode slickrock in the morning and Poison Spider/Portal trail in the afternoon, then flew out the next morning.

These days I've also been bringing my motorcycle, also a blast...last year was Poison Spider/gold bar, fins-n-things, Hell's revenge and a few others.

Brent: if you are up for it, you can take your van on Hell's revenge.....it's mostly slick rock with lots of jeeps and other 4X4's.....it's right next to the slick rock trail.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #16

Some info on mountain bike rides - Plenty of camping off Kane Creek road past the Amasa back trail head. There are new trails around there (Hymasa and Capt. Ahab) which make the riding much more fun then just the Amasa back 4x4 trail.
People already mentioned Porcupine rim (LPS, UPS)and there is plenty of camping along sand flats road.

Mag7 has some great riding and you also have Poison Spider mesa close by. You can also link Mag7 to the Portal trail for a nice little epic. Definitely some exposure, but I've lead groups down that trail of all skill levels and they loved it!

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBGary
You can also link Mag7 to the Portal trail for a nice little epic. Definitely some exposure, but I've lead groups down that trail of all skill levels and they loved it!

I'm hanging with the wrong groups as those that could not ride much of it hated it. I loved that trail back about '90 when I could ride most of it. Still fun but last time I had to hoof more of it. Great loop to do Gold Bar - Portal for an entertaining and fun ride.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #18

All great info!! Continuing to compile info from this thread for the trip.....thx

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #19

You have not provided two pieces of critical information. What level of trail are you after and what month of the year? Most of the trails mentioned so far are advanced to expert level.

Stick to the LaSals if it's summer or ride early. Otherwise, you will cook your brains out. I would never think of taking an intermediate-level rider on Portal, Gold Bar Rim, or Porcupine Rim in June.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #20

Going the week before Expo in May and then heading to Expo.

We are all mid level to advanced riders.

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)