Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #1

Moab Planning Forum Rally 09 May 11-15th in Moab

Since the sites are booked I closed the discussion thread and opened a planning thread so the info is easy to find. Special thanks to John for helping coordinate and booking, Steve and Hans for advice and suggestions, a lot of which I did not follow in the end.

Here is what is booked and planned:
--------------- Monday ---------------
May 11th: Arrival Meet at the Dead Horse Point Group Campground at around 6pm or after

Staying at: Dead Horse Point Group CG

Planned Activities: Socialize and Camp. Camping will be for one night, hopefully all flat and convenient enough to roll in and concentrate on relaxing instead of setting up camp.

--------------- Tuesday ---------------
May 12th: Touring See what there is to see in Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point

Staying at: Upper Onion Creek B (1/3)

Planned Activities: Break camp, tour, and move to Upper Onion Creek B. In the morning we will check out of DHP and have the day to tour the Canyonlands and/or Dead Horse Point. At the end of the day we will be checking in to Upper Onion Creek Group Campground B where we will camp for 3 nights.

Plan to meet at Onion Creek or return around 6pm or after.

--------------- Wednesday ---------------
May 13th: 4x4 Day Spend the day offroading, or biking / touring as you see fit.

Staying at: Upper Onion Creek B (2/3)

Planned Activities: This will be the main 4x4 day, not that you can't go before and after, but one of the merits of Upper Onion is we can do a large recommended 4x4 loop that starts and ends near there and includes the option to shortcut the loop and return on pavement. If you're only going to 4x4 one day, this is the day. We'll also be near Arches for those touring.

--------------- Thursday ---------------
May 14th: More Stuff Another day for 4x4ing or other activities.

Staying at: Upper Onion Creek B (3/3)

Planned Activities: Another day for people who haven't had enough 4x4ing, or possibly the time to put an RB only group together for a bit more difficult trails. Most trails are not near Upper Onion Creek so there will be a commute involved, however like the day before we're starting and ending at the same place so no need to break camp.

--------------- Friday ---------------
May 15th: Boondocking! Break camp, checkout of UOC and boondock!

Staying at: Boondock location TBD

Planned Activities: This is the last official day, and reservations at group sites will be over. For those who want to boondock (camp free with no facilities) Friday night is the night. Those interested in boondocking will meet at location TBD at time TBD and proceed to TBD.

Saturday you're on your own!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #2

Re: Moab Planning Forum Rally 09 May 11-15th in Moab

Although I can't make it until June, 22, thought I'd share this map in PDF that I found on a Mt bike site. Great map: http://www.2pedal.com/USA/UT/Canyonlands/iskymap.pdf
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #3

Hey everyone,

I am bringing a set of hand held FM (Motorola Talkabout style) radios. If you have some throw them in that way we can keep in touch while on the trial.

John
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #4

We have a set we'll be bringing, but I prefer CBs on the trail.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

I like CB's too on the trail.

Also anyone have a Amateur Radio (i.e. HAM). I just got mine a few months ago and would like to use it to communicate with you, since I will be arriving late. --not sure if we will have Cell Service.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Steve,

I will bring my hand held ham radio but do not get excited because I am somewhat challenged in that field even though I have a license: W6HKR. I was able to monitor 146.52 simplex when we had the SO CA meet and greet. Adventureduo is a ham. But, I will try. I will PM you with my Verizon cell #.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #7

Just figured i'd throw it out there:
There is a scenic route with some 4wd from Onion Creek up to Fisher Valley and up to the La Sals via the Hideout area or vice versa.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #8

We do need "plans" for Tuesday and Wednesday. Hans is planning a loop for Thursday out of Onion Creek, and also something for Friday. My notes are pretty sketchy but I don't think Fisher Valley was mentioned so that might good. Hans is the guy to ask for sure.

I would like to have a general idea of where we're going as a group Tuesday and Wednesday because Kim and I will be there two days before that and I'd like to duplicate as little as possible.

Angel, you should be an old hand at Moab by the time we get there.. if you want to get together Sunday or Monday just say the word.

Also I'm thinking the official "meet" time should be 6pm, that means 6pm at DHP on Monday and 6pm the rest of the week at Onion for late arrivals and split groups. 6pm is a suggestion which means "anytime between 5pm and Thursday". Good, bad, indifferent?

Also there is a cap on the campgrounds and the 4x4 group... I don't think we'll be anywhere near it, but if anyone is sitting the fence or hasn't posted in the Role Call, please let me or John&Dana know ASAP.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #9

Jage,

I will find out tomorrow where and what time Bill Burke's Big Truck Adventure Training ends. I will post tomorrow when I know more. I may want to resupply and clean up. Was thinking of maybe staying at a campground with a shower Sun night (or not) and heading for Dead horse first thing Monday AM (or going there Sun eve) and get together Monday for sure. I will PM you with my cell #.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #10

Angel, the Big Truck training is over sometime late Sunday afternoon according the email I got yesterday. We have reserved a campsite for Sunday night at the Moab KOA which is just a mile or so south of town, and they have good showers.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Ed in Montana has to be in Cody, Wyoming on that Tuesday for a work conference, so we will miss the SMB Forum ralley.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Closed Thread