Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

Mojave Desert Volunteer Opportunity - Water For Wildlife

This just came across my desk. It sounds like a fun and worthwhile volunteer opportunity for all you Mojave Desert lovers! Contact information is at the end.

Water for Wildlife Project
Old Women Mountains Area
4 Miles South/East of I 40 near Essex
March 11-12-13, 2011

On this three day project we will try to restore 5-6 guzzlers/drinkers that are located in the Old Women Mountains. It looks like we will have three work trailers on this project. One trailer will be used by the Merlex crew and the other trailers will be loaded down with generators, compressors, grinders, all the tools needed to prepare the concrete surface of the drinkers. With plenty of you hard working volunteers we can man all three trailers and restore these drinkers.

Before we venture into the desert I need to make sure we have our volunteer forms up to date, and I need to go over safety procedures along with wilderness and desert tortoise information.

What you could bring: gloves, knee pads, 5 gal jugs of water, folding tables are needed around the camp fire area, firewood, EZ-UP if you can bring one, a 60 lb bag of ready mix mortar or ready mix concrete, (if you are bringing some mortar or concrete please let me know) safety glasses and ear/noise protection. Bring plenty of drinks and your lunch fixens.

We will have our cooks, Kippy, Judy and Jeanette at this project and our April project.

Menu for this project:

Dinner will be served around 6:30 pm and breakfast around 7 am.

Friday evening: Elk stew with all the trimmings.

Saturday evening: Elk burgers and hotdogs with special, Judy's beans and all the trimmings.

Breakfast Saturday will be bacon, scrambled eggs, fruit, and juice drink.

Breakfast Sunday will be elk sausage breakfast burrito, scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese and all the fixens, including fruit and juice drink.

Don't know what we will have for dessert but I'm sure it will be good.

Events: I will be at the camp site around 9 am Friday morning, we will set up the camp and try to head out to work around 11 am, returning to camp around 5:00 pm. Dinner will be served on Friday and Sat around 6:30, breakfast will be served at 7 am. After dinners we will have our raffle and plenty of time around the fire. Saturday and Sunday morning we will leave camp at 8 am and return around 5 pm. I know it is a long drive for most of the volunteers and I know that some of you can only put in a couples hours on Sunday morning but any labor is really appreciated.

Directions: From Barstow travel approximately 90 miles East on I 40 to the Essex Rd exit, go South 4 miles to powerline road, turn right go 200 yards and you will be at the camp. The turn on the powerline road will be marked with a orange flag. You do not need 4x4 to get to the camp site, motorhome and camp trailers will not have any problem in this flat area. Like before the only luxury will be two outhouses.

SCHEDULE FOR THE YEAR

March 11-12-13
We will have our cooks, Kippy, Judy and Jeanette

April 15-16-17
We will have our cooks, Kippy Judy and Jeanette

May 20-21-22
No cooks, but I am sure we will have some volunteers that will help us out with the cooking. Jesse, Bob, Lyle, Dave, let's see who else.......................

June 10-11-12
No cooks, but I am sure we will have some volunteers that will help us out with the cooking. Jesse, Bob, Lyle, Dave, let's see who else.......................

There is 15-20 guzzlers/drinkers on the agenda for this year. The Merlex has been ordered, we have another generator and the trailer will have new springs and tires.

If anyone has questions, suggestions or would like to donate to this years projects please contact me.

Best regards

Cliff McDonald
Water for Wildlife
760-326-2935
760-449-4820
http://www.waterforwildlife.us

2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote