Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #21

One more thank you for the great trip report! My last trip to Death Valley was in the 4x4 truck that went away when the van came along, looking very much forward to having Flint take us there so we can experience the view from the SMB perspective!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Excellent TR. Thanks for throwing that up. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one enjoying a van without a pop top.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #23

Yup, great report, thanks. The first time I went to that cabin Ramsey gave us some vague directions but the chief navigator (Mrs AT) found it. That was the first time we met John (from Agile) and his family. We spent a great weekend there getting to know Ramsey, John and a few of his friends. It was all over too soon though. Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos, it brought back a lot of good memories of trips with A bunch of Southern Calif van folks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
Excellent TR. Thanks for throwing that up. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one enjoying a van without a pop top.
Ya know, this trip made me question whether I need a pop top for two people traveling. We had more stuff than a usual trip due to Christmas and to the fact we went snowboarding and it was ok.

That being said, as soon as we see some new poptop options, cough cough MGMetalworks, my mind will be changing.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Ya know, this trip made me question whether I need a pop top for two people traveling. We had more stuff than a usual trip due to Christmas and to the fact we went snowboarding and it was ok.

That being said, as soon as we see some new poptop options, cough cough MGMetalworks, my mind will be changing.
I'm anxious to get my current van built out so I can see whether I really need a top too. I used to always have 4 people aboard so it was necessary for beds but they're getting older and honestly it's usually just me and sometimes her. I'm liking the simplicity of no top so far.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
...and honestly it's usually just me and sometimes her. I'm liking the simplicity of no top so far.

Are you talking about the van, or your wife?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #27

We put almost 300,000 miles on our old Chevy 2wd van with no pop-top. We were able to get 4 bikes, back packs, etc. in it and still have enough room to sleep on the floor. The bikes were raised a bit and we slept under them.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Are you talking about the van, or your wife?
Good question.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm anxious to get my current van built out so I can see whether I really need a top too.
We have a GTRV / Westy style top, and I find I rarely open it. It's much warmer with it down (I know this is rarely an issue for you folks in warmer states). We do a lot of under the radar camping when moving around too, and keeping it down makes you far less obvous. Being 6'4", you would think I'd want it open when ever possible, but I'm almost always sitting down for cooking, reading, relaxing, etc. I will say that Mrs A/T likes it up when were camped anywhere for more than a quick over night, and in hot weather it does offer better air circulation with the window flaps open. If I had kids or carried motorcycles or bikes, a high top would seem much easier though, but as it is, I could probably get along without one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote