Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Montana Trip Report - From the top parts 1,2,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
The one night where you are boondocking and someone comes up the road and then camps right near you? Has happened to me several times! You want to walk over and say, "Really? You need to camp here?"!

I think some people just feel more comfortable being near other people, especially when wild camping. Kinda defeats the whole concept, though. I've even had someone pull up and camp right next to me in a campground where 98% of the other sites were empty. I moved.
Its happended to me to, but I will admit that where I was camped was the best spot around, the area was fairly large, and other options weren't nearly as good. The area was BLM land, and the guy pulled up and asked if he could camp there too. I gave a non-commital answer of something like 'theres plenty of room' but I wasn't exactly going to say 'sure, come camp next to me', and at the same time I wasn't gong to say No since it was BLM land.

I've also been on the other side of the issue though, when I've been in an area with somewhat limited camp options, and one guy was set up in a well established camping area (that typically can accomodate 5-6 separate vehicle camps) where the annual Knapp In happens every year at Glass Butte. We picked the spot as far away as we possibly could. We did invite the only other guy there over for a beer and to share our fire.

I understand that people have different comfort levels with remote camping, and some people need the proximity of other people, even if they never talk to them, to feel comfortable. If there are plenty of camping options, I don't see why anyone would want to be within close proximity to others though.

Herb

Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Great trip report! And nice T-shirt. Way to represent Flagstaff's first brewery!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Great trip report! And nice T-shirt. Way to represent Flagstaff's first brewery!
Thanks, it's a great restaurant / brewery. Spent a couple of fun hours on the patio eating, drinking and telling river lies the night after we finished kayaking the Grand Canyon in May.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Great report. Thanks. The first picture is surreal.
Thanks Mac. I had to abuse the heck out of it on the computer to get some texture back in the sky. It's one of my favourites; the wall paper on my tablet.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #15

Re: Montana Trip Report - Parts 1-4 - And the Grand Finale #

28 July
Continued on the Scenic by-way. Discovered one house battery is cracked and leaking battery acid. On to Dillon on I15 to see if we could find a battery. We did. Performance Auto put it in for us and a couple of hours later, we were on our way again. Passed a ranch with a sign that said “Livestock protected by Akbash dogs”. Had never heard of them. Looked them up; big, white, not social dogs.

Lunched at a state park along the byway. Nice camp on grassy flat next to a meadow stream. Summer jumped off the bank down to the water. Don’t think she knew how far it was! Eastern Kingbird had a territory around the campground marker. So pretty in flight. He chased off a Western Wood-peewee from his post. Saw a small herd of Pronghorn in a pasture and flushed a Dusky Grouse hen from the sagebrush.

[We saw a few of these along the road. Has something to do with haying I think. Are there any farm boys out there who can enlighten me?]

Camping on the Continental Divide Trail at Morrison Lake. The road was not on the map, but we found it anyway. Perfect camp spot on the lake. Fished a little. Nothing. Another fisherman came for a couple of hours and fished from a fish-cat. He said it is hard to catch fish here. Cutthrout and rainbow. I found an elk skull in the water and part of the decaying limbs. Messy! Bill made a fire with wood we found at the camp.

[Sherri getting the journal caught up]

29 July
Decided to stay at Morrison Lake another day. Beautiful morning.

Earred Grebe in breeding plumage on the lake this morning. Spotted Sandpipers still flying around. Heard a SPSA [Spotted Sandpiper] commotion when Eddy was at the water getting a drink. It flew back and forth in front of him. Thought there might be some young around, so called Eddy up and we watched from camp. Finally saw 2 downy youngsters hopping around the rocks at lake’s edge picking up bugs. So cute! One had more color than the other and looked a little older.

The breeze died down for a while and the reflection of the surrounding hills was crystal clear and sharp.

Bill and Eddy hiked around to the other side of the lake. They saw the road/trail that is the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). Two hikers walked up toward the divide across the lake.

I fished while Bill and Eddy were gone.

I could see 12-15” fish rising and swimming near me. After about an hour I hooked one…. But my fly came off. I’m trying to work on my knots. As soon as Bill returned I hook a second fish and this time I landed it.

I had a hard time getting it in my little net. Then the hook came out, but it just laid still below the surface and I was able to get the net on it. It was about 15-16 inches! A west slope cutthroat (we think – we are actually on the east slope of the CD by about a mile). Bill got photos. I was very excited!!

[And just how big was that fish Sherri? ]

Had a flock of Clark’s nutcrackers in the area making lots of noise. Goshawk flew over a bit by the ridge. We had a fire again in the evening. We definitely want to come back to this spot and spend a week or two.

[Morrison Lake was the high point of the trip. The whole 3+ weeks would have been worth it just for the couple of days here. We're coming back for sure.]

30 July
I heard a wolf call last night and then again this morning as I was waking up. Both were short calls. We packed up quickly and headed down the dirt track. Asked Bill to stop at the ridge so I could scope out two wetland swales about 1/2 mile away.

Thought I might see some wildlife. What we saw was a once in a lifetime wildlife viewing. There was an elk in the small bit of water that was clear of sedges and, possibly, a calf. She was surrounded by 6 or 7 wolves! The wolves were circling her and moving her back and forth. Every few minutes the there would be splashing as the elk spun and moved toward the wolves. We watched for about 10 or 15 minutes until the elk and some of the wolves were out of site behind a swell. A few of the wolves moved to the far end of the water. As we moved up the road we came a little closer, but could no longer see any of the animals. It was an amazing sighting!

[ I think this was the most amazing and wonderful wildlife sighting I've had in 40 years of working and playing in the woods. ]

We continued down the road and easily made it around the sharp switchback we had had some trouble with coming in. Once along the narrow creek canyon we saw 3 bull elk grazing half way up the hill. All three had full racks still in velvet.. They moved up the hill and Bill was able to get a shot of them standing silhouetted against the sky.

It took us an hour to make the 4 mile journey from camp to the main dirt road! We continued south on the scenic byway. Saw Pronghorn, deer, Dusky Grouse, Golden Eagle. We passed a deserted Jesus bus on the side of the road. Bill stopped to take photos. It was a classic old motor home with a life size Jesus on the cross and bible quotes all around.

[ Not so much 'on the cross' as bolted, face on, to a brick wall. Always good to see a little innovation in religious iconography. ]

[Aside from the paint job, it's a pretty cool old motorhome. ]

At times the road was so narrow we weren’t sure we were on the right road.

Eventually we reached Bannack Pass where it crossed the CD and you cross from Montana to Idaho. Magnificent views on both side.

When we finally reached the road to Dubois, we had travelled about 150 miles on dirt roads with just 2 small sections of pavement. The last stretch was about 60 miles of magnificent, open country. Went to Dubois for gas, then back on hwy 22 toward Mt. Home. Camped in a Sportsman Access on the Magic Reservoir. There are these access points all along the hwy – great places to stay. Flat spots, outhouses, no people.

31 July
Early start today. Hoped to make Jordan Valley for lunch at the Basque Inn and Restaurant. Delayed by traffic jam at Marsing, but made it by 2! Had a good lunch and then off to Whitehorse (Willow) Hot Spring. No one here but us. Good soaks. Good night. Nighthawks, spotted sandpipers, Horned larks, coyote chorus.

[ And that's all she wrote folks.... I already posted the 'Back to California Burning' segment.]
Old 08-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Thanks, it's a great restaurant / brewery. Spent a couple of fun hours on the patio eating, drinking and telling river lies the night after we finished kayaking the Grand Canyon in May.

That's right, I had forgotten you were on a trip behind me. I think I experienced my windiest night ever on that trip.

Fantastic pics and adventure. Thanks for sharing
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #17

Garage

wonderful photos and writeup, thanks for sharing! looks like you guys had a wonderful trip.

western montana is on my list of places to explore further, and you cemented the fact with your report. we did a few races up pioneer mtn road just outside of polaris for a few years, but had very little time to explore further. elkhorn resort at the base of the hill was very rustic, but perfect overall. good food, good company, & excellent springs (for a paysite anyway).
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #18

Yeah - awesome report! I love seeing more little gems that are right in my backyard that I've yet to check out. Thanks for sharing.