Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
loren85022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 233
Re: My Big Stuck

Geoff, nice wriite up. Glad it all worked out. Looking back, do you think you'd have gotten stuck had you been in 4wd? And perhaps aired down?
__________________

__________________
Phoenix Arizona
2008 E-150 5.4L w/Quigley. Vangator II Wheelchair lift,
loren85022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
geoffff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 858
Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
Geoff, nice wriite up. Glad it all worked out. Looking back, do you think you'd have gotten stuck had you been in 4wd? And perhaps aired down?
From a similar situation later in the trip where I was able to continue forward with 4x4, momentum, and lots of throttle, I'd wager 75% chance of not getting stuck if I'd actually been in 4x4 like I thought I was. 25% chance of getting super stuck. In my later successful playa mud situation, it felt like driving on sand, where if I kept my speed up with lots of throttle, I seemed to "float" somewhat and keep moving (even though I still had very deep tire tracks).

I haven't experimented with airing down real low (say, 20 PSI) in mud situations, so I personally have no idea if that would help.

-- Geoff
__________________

__________________
2004 Ford, SMB 4x4, RB-50
http://octopup.org/sportsmobile
geoffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Pschitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 848
Garage
Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
In this case I was already down to 35 PSI for washboard roads, and no, I didn't try airing down further to sand PSIs.
In my experience, it's definitely not enough. On washboard, you can drive with 24-28 PSI, it will be much more comfortable. In soft sand, it makes a huge difference airing down to 15-18 PSI, even more if your're stuck. The next time, try it, you'll be surprised of the difference... ;-)
__________________
Travelling in VivaLaVida (custom 2010 6.0 Ford E-350 Extended with U-Joint 4WD conversion)
Pschitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 961
Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
In this case I was already down to 35 PSI for washboard roads, and no, I didn't try airing down further to sand PSIs.
In my experience, it's definitely not enough. On washboard, you can drive with 24-28 PSI, it will be much more comfortable. In soft sand, it makes a huge difference airing down to 15-18 PSI, even more if your're stuck. The next time, try it, you'll be surprised of the difference... ;-)
Definitely makes a huge difference...assuming you do not separate the tire from the rim.
__________________
2007 Ford RB Diesel SMB 4x4 Pueblo Gold; Custom configuration (aisle layout); PIAA 580 driving lights; Picked up on Oct 19, 2007.
sdwindansea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
geoffff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 858
Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
In this case I was already down to 35 PSI for washboard roads, and no, I didn't try airing down further to sand PSIs.
In my experience, it's definitely not enough. On washboard, you can drive with 24-28 PSI, it will be much more comfortable. In soft sand, it makes a huge difference airing down to 15-18 PSI, even more if your're stuck. The next time, try it, you'll be surprised of the difference... ;-)
Definitely makes a huge difference...assuming you do not separate the tire from the rim.
Yes, I love low PSI in the sand. I often go a bit below 20PSI, but I really don't want to break a bead. I've studied those videos about reseating beads with flammable gas :O but I don't really want to try it

-- Geoff
__________________
2004 Ford, SMB 4x4, RB-50
http://octopup.org/sportsmobile
geoffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Pschitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 848
Garage
Re: My Big Stuck

Never broke a bead in soft sand or mud...
__________________
Travelling in VivaLaVida (custom 2010 6.0 Ford E-350 Extended with U-Joint 4WD conversion)
Pschitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
yvrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 789
Re: My Big Stuck

I've done the engine starter fluid thing during a SMB rally "how to" fair but don't carry it. I haven't broken a bead yet but I do carry a heavy-duty ratchet strap which, I hope, will solve the problem if it every comes up...
__________________
Jack
'01 Ford EB50p Quigley 4WD
yvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 110
Re: My Big Stuck

How do you use the ratchet strap to reseat a bead?
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #39
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 7,802
Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars
How do you use the ratchet strap to reseat a bead?
Strap around the circumference, and tighten it which will help force the beads towards the edge of the rim. The strap by itself won't be enough you will still need a high volume compressor or air tank. Sometimes removing the valve stem core will help let air in more quickly and can help seat the bead. Once the bead is seated, reinstall the valve stem core and inflate normally.


Herb
__________________

__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.