Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Need a Utah campsite recommendation.....

...anyone have a good recommendation for a good camp spot somewhere between Beaver and Green River?

Priorities are:
Quiet/devoid of other humans
Free(non-campground)
Within an hour of I70
Reachable by lightly lifted 2wd drive with capable driver(my lady friend)

Thanks!

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

The Wedge Overlook in the San Rafael Swell. It used to be wide open with a couple of dispersed sites but the BLM recently turned it into more formal sites but chances are it will be empty especially during the week. Big views looking over the canyon of the San Rafael River and not more than an hour from 70. Maybe.

Take 10 north to Castle Dale and then head SE on Buckhorn Draw Rd. Return to I70 via that road as well. Otherwise, lots of places in the San Rafael Swell to get lost and meet the Prime Directive (aka devoid of Humanoids).
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
...anyone have a good recommendation for a good camp spot somewhere between Beaver and Green River?

Priorities are:
Quiet/devoid of other humans
Free(non-campground)
Within an hour of I70
Reachable by lightly lifted 2wd drive with capable driver(my lady friend)

Thanks!
Well....can't meet all of the above but bear flats campground in Brianhead is free and has a couple of pit toilets up there...used to anyway....haven't been up there in a few years and they just had a big fire...of course that's before Beaver.

Another is 16 miles east on the 70 from the 15/70 interchange is Castle Rock campground..part of Fishlake National forest. Right off the 70, lots of big trees, really big terrain, nice hiking trail for dogs, etc and a MTB/moto trail that takes you all the way to the town of Joseph. One site has a teepee if that's your thing...it' a campground and $17/night. It' pretty secluded.

I usually camp there on my way to Moab.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #4

Garage
Here is an option with a couple short hikes in the area:
Petroglyph and Arch Canyon

(38.931811, -110.422736)

These two canyons are located just north of I-70, on the east edge of the San Rafael Swell. From the town of Green River, drive west on I-70 for 12 1/2 miles. Just west of mile marker 147 you'll see a graded road that heads north from the Interstate. Drive that road for .7 miles (closing the gate behind you). At the .7 mile point you'll see a track forking west (left) which leads to the start of the Pictograph Canyon hike. Travel down the track 1/4 mile and park under the cottonwood trees.

There are several decent campsites near the trailhead.

About .6 miles from the parking area the trail drops down to the bottom of the wash, near the junction of Petroglyph and Arch. At the junction, Petroglyph is on the left and Arch Canyon is on the right. Both canyons are short and easy to hike. It doesn't matter which you do first.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Take the HWY 153 east out of the town of Beaver about 15 miles in is the Fishlake National Forest. BLM land free camping. I stay at the Three Creeks reservoir, the Piute ATV trail runs thru there. lots of 4X4 van trails in the area. FR124 is a good turn off with a pit toilet at road head and nice open camping spots
38°17'47.65"N 112°26'23.03"W Elev 8450
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips guys! She wound up somewhere in the Fish Lake NF outside of Beaver.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote