Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
New York Tri-State Area Meet & Greet?

So, who's up for a New Yawk Tri-State Area Meet & Greet? Been talking to a few SMB'ers in the area and seems there might be interest in a mini-rally here in the North East.

Can be something simple like a one day meet up in Harriman State Park (a hour north of NYC off the thruway.) And I'll toss out the date of Saturday November 1st. (since the SMBer's in the area I've mentioned this to already seem to be busy or on the road before then.

Okay, NY, NJ, CT, PA, WHEREVER...who's game?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
AEJ

meet & greet

Mike,

I'd like to attend. I checked the web site and it says dogs must be muzzled and on a leash. That's really restrictive. I've never muzzled my dog. Also, because it's a 3-4 hr drive I'd like to know about camping in the area at that time of year.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Hmm. My dogs couldn't even wear muzzles if I wanted them to. No snouts. (comes from chasing parked cars.) I know Clarence Fahnstock Park in Putnam County (across the river from Harriman State Park) is open to camping year round and allows dogs (and never asked me to muzzle them.) Let me do a little checking and see what options I can find. Doesn't have to be Harriman.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #4

Clarence Fahnestock Park is open at that time of year. I've put a link in below if you want to check it out. They accept dogs at their 'overflow' sites in the furthest reaches of the campground. (#70-81) I have camped in those sites and they're fine if it's not crowded. That being said I know at some point during the cold weather they close the back end of the campground so I'm curious if they'd let you keep your dogs at the sites that are still open. (those are better sites anyhow.) I've found you get better answers and flexibility from calling the folks at the park then from the reservations service (not surprisingly.) You could try calling them at: 845-225-7207.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=129
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

I'm in for the micro rally!

I've never heard of the muzzle restriction at Harriman. I'm there often and have never seen a dog wearing one. Maybe it's a rule for the beach areas only? Otherwise, it might be one of those things where it's the rule but it's not enforced as long as your dog is behaved. I see dogs off leash in the park all the time.

If we do the meet at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area parking lot in Harriman, I can almost guarantee us a quiet corner. It's very underutilized year round.

Let me know where the final destination is... Harriman... Fahnestock... Either way, I'm in.

-Joey
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #6

Good point Joey. It's likely not enforced. Anythony Wayne Rec area would be fairly convenient. Al, are you comfortable with giving that a shot? If not we can do Fahnestock. (though the meet up would likely be at a parking lot in the park just down the road from the campground since the campground doesn't have one set large open area we could all meet in.)

Plus, any other new york area folks interested?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
AEJ

Mike,

I'm game for wherever you set it up. For me, that's considered just a short ride! I'm in Las Vegas at my sisters' house waiting to get back to SMB Fresno to finish off some repair work. After that I'm heading home but will stop and see some national parks and maybe do some fishing at the San Juan River in NM.

Keep me in the loop,
Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #8

Hey Mike,
I definitely plan to attend since I'll be heading back from Durango at the end of October. Also, we had our dogs in Harriamn numerous times and never used or saw anyone else with muzzles.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #9

Hey that's great. So we're up to four SMB's. Anyone else out there care to join us for this one day meet up?

Saturday November 1st
Anthony Wayne Recreation Area Parking Lot
Harriman State Park.

We've heard rumors of a SMB'er from Manhattan. Will he surface?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #10

Anthony Wayne Recreation Area is located at Exit 17 of the Palisades Interstate Parkway. The exit is solely for this parking area.

Map link:

http://tinyurl.com/3ln2x8

Coordinates:

41.296977, -74.0281
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote