Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Off to Maine and Nova Scotia next week

We're leaving this weekend and pointing our SMB north from home in Pennsylvania, heading up to Maine (Acadia National Park) and then likely to Nova Scotia for the bulk of next week. We've been to Maine a number of times, but if anyone has suggestions on visiting New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and perhaps PEI, please let me know. This is kinda last-minute, so we haven't done too much research.

Right now the thought is to take the ferry across the Bay of Fundy from NB to NS, check out the town of Annapolis Royal, and poke around NS some. We don't have as much time as we should to really see Nova Scotia, so this is mainly a scouting trip for a longer trip in the future.

If anyone else will be on the road in New England next week, look for a white 2WD EB SMB with blue stripes and say hi!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

PEI is great if you get the chance. Drove straight up, no ferry and you can easily spend a week up that direction. Circle the entire island and several beaches to drive on. Great lobster, clams, etc....
Enjoy the trip!

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

You really should stop and check out downtown Portland if you have time. Really cool town and lots of awesome food/beer. I've got some recommendations for whatever you're into
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
We had similar plans a few years back, but when we went over the border we stopped in "Buttman's" seafood and talked with the lady there about our plans....she said that Newfoundland was a MUCH BETTER choice than Prince Edward Island...she stated the PEI has become much too commercialized and that Newfoundland was so much better...well, we took the advice of the locals...and we had a great trip...yes we had to take the ferry, but it was well worth it and not too expensive! So many areas (we made a majority of the island in 5 days) to explore, including Dildo Provincial Park (yes, make sure to get a shirt) Cows Head area, and our favorite, Burgio (SW part of island next road from where {one port of two} where the ferry lands...you can see pics of areas in our "Newfoundland, Gaspe" Photos, (Page 3 of the photo's page)...there is a picture of the ruins in new mexico as a lead pic...not sure how that happened but look for it and have a better bag full of "options" to go for....Gaspe/Perce are cities/Provincial Park in Quebec where the St. Lawrence Seaway comes into Canada...all GREAT!!! The people are good no matter which trip yo choose!! Good luck and POST PICS!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Our youtube show (12 minutes) of our 2004 trip to PEI and Nova Scotia
https://youtu.be/17hz9OY8vlU

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the video, Len! Looks nice.

Unfortunately, we only have a week, so have to just hit a few highlights this go-round. I'm sure we'll be back. It's funny: we've driven to Alaska twice, cross-country twice, been to Europe probably 15-20 times, but have never driven up to the Maritimes and we're only a day or so away!

@CTB, my wife is really keen on PEI for some reason. I could happily skip it, as I've also heard that it's very touristy.

For adventure roads here in the East, I've always been interested in these two Canadian highways that get pretty remote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Labrador_Highway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Taiga_Road
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #7

My wife was really interested in PEI also. She loved the Ann of Green Gables book series and wanted to see that area and learn more about the author. Our trip was in the fall and it looked like the summer could REALLY be touristy. PEI is really flat, we cut our planned stay there short by two and added them on to the Nova Scotia part of the trip. We REALLY enjoyed Nova Scotia. Hilly, rugged, wonderful scenery. Lots of eye candy. I am sure you will have a great time.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

Garage
I spent a little time in Bridgewater NS, mainly between the hotel and the ice rink so I cant be too much help but I really liked the small town feel and everyone was very nice. Definitely some good seafood in the area as well.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Visit the garden in Annapolis Royal and be sure to visit Digby, the oyster capital. The changing of the guard at the Halifax Citadal. We liked the Donair sandwich - it is unique to that part of Canada. I am told one should only take the bridge to PEI one way. In Maine, Acadia is great anytime. Be careful at Thunder Hole as, depending on the tide, you can get wet down below. Have a great time whatever you do.
Kingskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #10

Sitting here in a campground just outside Acadia NP in Bar Harbor. We left after work last night, making it just about to the Massachusetts border and spending a few hours sleeping in a Connecticut rest area. (Apparently it's legal in CT to park overnight in state rest areas, and we saw quite a few RVs in the various areas.) A few hours of sleep (~3) and then off to hit the breakfast buffet at a nearby TA truckstop (kids eat free at TAs all summer!). Fought AM rush-hour traffic on the Boston beltway, and arrived at the shopping Mecca of Freeport, Maine, home to LL Bean of course, as well as North Face and Patagonia outlets, etc.

We had originally planned to camp at Blackwoods CG in Acadia, but missed the booking window and didn't want to gamble on getting a site in the late afternoon. So we're in Bar Harbor Campground, a very nice private CG about six miles from Bar Harbor on Rte. 3. It's only $2 more than the NPS CG, and has a similar feel to the NPS (wooded, decently private sites, etc.) but more amenities like on-site showers and a heated pool. If you are coming through the area it's worth checking out. They don't take reservations, so it's first-come, first-served (and cash only). Having stayed at both CGs, I'd give this the nod over Blackwoods. Better water views, too.

Rest-area overnight in CT

Cool bridge high over the Penobscot River Narrows, Maine

View from the campground over Mt Desert Narrows/Frenchman Bay