Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

Great list Otter.

I wouLed add Fort Stevens State Park on the mouth of the Columbia River. The place is one of the larger parks with miles of beachfront. It use to be a military installation during WW2. It is the only place in the U.S. that was shelled by a Japanese submarine during the war. Lots of history there and a good campground too.

Tillicum campground is a forest service CG that is right on the beach just south of Beachside SP. We have stayed at both and am not sure which is better.

Bar View County Park is just north of Tillamook and is at the mouth of Tillamook Bay. It is a bit crowded. This is offset by access to the jetty to view seals as welll as fishing. There is also seven miles of beach to the north that is great to explore.

Day use areas include the one in Rockaway Beach, Seal Rock, the Nahelam River south jetty (more seals), Driftwood Beach (one of our favorites), Ona Beach, Agate Beach and many more.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #12

You guys keep it up! We're planning a multi-week Oregon tour this summer. I won't remember the places but hopefully I'll remember this thread.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

Hope you are planning to stop by.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #14

My favorite place is Florence. There is a small coastal plain that extends out from the mountains. That's different from much of the OR coast where smaller mountainous cliffs drop right into the ocean. A string of mountain lakes runs N-S along the edge of the mountains, about 4 miles inland from the beach. One of the rivers out of the mountains empties into the ocean at Florence, so there is a small harbor. There is fishing in the river, in the ocean, and in those lakes. The river and lakes are both excellent for boating as well. There is a sand dune state park preserve. Some of the dunes are over 400' high and young people climb them to do sandboarding, which is similar to snowboarding. There are several nice restaurants and a Fred Meyer for shopping. While Seaside is a hopping tourist trap, Florence is a very quiet place. I think about 2/3 of the population is retirees. It's a sort of small town and there are golf courses and a community center that holds several hundred people. They are constantly bringing in speakers, presentations, and musicians for those retirees to have something to do. It is quaint and enjoyable.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #15

When will you be there? I visited friends in Eugene last June then went down to hike Crater Lake, Cascade-Siskyou National Monument and Redwoods State and National Park.

What I heard is if you plan around local school and college schedules then your options to avoid crowded campgrounds are better. For example I was at Crater Lake on a Friday in early June with no crowds but that would have been a mess on a Friday later in the summer.

I loved the Gold Beach campground in Redwoods/Humboldt County- maybe you can reserve a spot if you try to now! (It's in far NW corner of Cali, adjacent to Redwoods State/Nat.Parks and Smith River Rec Area- also near trailhead to Fern Canyon, all gorgeous)
http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/415/fi...inal123009.pdf
Old 01-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #16

Great thread! I used to camp at Cape Lookout as a child, now we camp with our kids every year at Nehalem Bay State Park. We usually have to book 9-10 months in advance. However, I've seen openings during weekdays and occasional cancellations. Free hot showers, paper towels, ride bikes, walk or bike to town (Manzanita) for coffee/donuts. Great place to camp! Agree Ft. Stevens is nice too, close to Costco, ship wrek breach, etc. Gearheart has a cute bakery/restaurant (Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe) you can stop on your way to camping. Baked goods sell out fast so hit it in the morning. Nothing like camping on the Oregon Coast (Bruce's in Cannon Beach for taffy), Sleepy Monk Cafe for coffee & scones, most of all no mosquitos!
Supersporttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
By the way, if you like Storms with a capital S, you gotta go to Shore Acres. .

Thanks for the great tip. I was driving the entire coast tlas Feb and got some good storm photos near there but didn't know about that spot. I'll make an effort to check it out next time I am in the area. Thanks again..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #18

[QUOTE= That means we often go somewhere else cause it's totally no fun to drive out there and be, like, "Whoa. I wonder if anyone would mind if we slept out here on the highway." Yes, they will mind and you'll have a ticket to prove it! .[/QUOTE]

I pretty much never camp in campgrounds, prefering to bookdock in the forest, but there are times when that doesn't work out. Often times I'll just pull off the side of the road somewhere that's not too obvous, but if the police do come along to tell me I can't stay there, I'll tell them I had to stop because the van broke down. I have a hidden fuel pump cut out switch that assures it won't start when I demonstrate that it really is broken. I always set the switch prior to retiring, but so far I've never needed to prove that it won't run. Normally though I use the Ap "Scenic map" that allows you to display land ownership like BLM, National forest etc, and just head out to the woods.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersporttramp View Post
Great thread! I used to camp at Cape Lookout as a child, now we camp with our kids every year at Nehalem Bay State Park. We usually have to book 9-10 months in advance. However, I've seen openings during weekdays and occasional cancellations. Free hot showers, paper towels, ride bikes, walk or bike to town (Manzanita) for coffee/donuts. Great place to camp! Agree Ft. Stevens is nice too, close to Costco, ship wrek breach, etc. Gearheart has a cute bakery/restaurant (Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe) you can stop on your way to camping. Baked goods sell out fast so hit it in the morning. Nothing like camping on the Oregon Coast (Bruce's in Cannon Beach for taffy), Sleepy Monk Cafe for coffee & scones, most of all no mosquitos!
Gee, I wish there was a like button on this forum! Would save a lot of space!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Often times I'll just pull off the side of the road somewhere that's not too obvous, but if the police do come along to tell me I can't stay there, I'll tell them I had to stop because the van broke down. I have a hidden fuel pump cut out switch that assures it won't start when I demonstrate that it really is broken. I always set the switch prior to retiring, but so far I've never needed to prove that it won't run.
Fabulous! Do tell more details!