Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Oregon hot springs September 20-25, 2016

We are planning on visiting several hot springs and touring around southeast Oregon in September. You are welcome to join us.

The plan is to meet at the Bend Safeway at 9:00 am on the 20th and leave by 9:15 am. From there we will head to Summer Lake hot springs. Then on to Hart Mountains HS on the 21st. The Steens Mountain on the 22nd for some hiking above 9,000 feet. From there to Alvord HS on the 23rd. Then head across the Alvord Desert to Willow Creek HS, back to Fields for some great food and then north to camp at Crystal Crane HS on the 24th. We will be heading home on the 25th.

This is a combination of pavement and gravel roads through the Deschuts NF, Fremont NF, and the high desert of southeast Oregon. There are few places to get fuel in that area so bring along extra. Some camping and hot springs are free other have a cost. Summer Lake HS is the most expensive at $20 per person.

HAM, preferred, or CB radio is required for communications between rigs. Cell service is spotty. Radios help in case we get separated due to the dusty conditions.

Let me know if you want to come along.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

Who is "we"?

Is that an extended invite to the gitout trip?
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Beware that Hart Mt now has Red Spider mites. Just be sure to hang towels and clothing away from the warm water, and don't side on the sides of the pool.

Hot Springs with Red Spider Mites Listing
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Garage
^^^ great info carringb! we got into the habit of bringing a folding chair to all hot springs for that reason.

this sounds like fun. will talk with my wife tonight and see if we can swing it.

have you been to all these non established springs before? are you planning on camping at pay sites or boondocking?

i was looking at a few of these last year to go check out mid october, but the 10% chance of rain turned into a 100% chance once i got down in the three forks warm springs canyon and about got me killed trying to leave. decided to just come home and cut my losses. haven't had a chance to get back in that direction since.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ great info carringb! we got into the habit of bringing a folding chair to all hot springs for that reason.

this sounds like fun. will talk with my wife tonight and see if we can swing it.

have you been to all these non established springs before? are you planning on camping at pay sites or boondocking?

i was looking at a few of these last year to go check out mid october, but the 10% chance of rain turned into a 100% chance once i got down in the three forks warm springs canyon and about got me killed trying to leave. decided to just come home and cut my losses. haven't had a chance to get back in that direction since.
Your wife is NOT allowed on this trip. I couldn't take another story like the last one.

Herb
Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Garage
^^^ holy smokes. i didn't even realize the date. 2 days prior will be one year since that happened...

and trust me, WE cant take being involved in another story like that again. if were able to attend, i promise there will be no stories of that nature again.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

I've been to Avlord and Summer Lake. Both are great. Summer Lake especially during cold winter storms! (It's in an old barn). I haven't been to the others but I was thinking about visiting those around the same time, along with 3-Forks hot springs (which requires fording the Owyhee).

X2 on extra gas. At night gas stations are at least 200 miles apart. Even during the day it's still ~100 in between.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Garage
was reading up on these earlier and sounds like avlord has changed a bit since 2013....

Quote:
The old, free Alvord Hot Springs that we have all come to know and love over the years is gone as of early 2013. The Davis Family (owners) have torn down the old structure and built a new one complete with parking lot, bathrooms, pay camping, store, showers and on-site caretaker. Access for 24 hours costs $5.
source: Alvord Hot Springs - SoakOregon.com

3 forks is worth the ford. october last year water was barely to my knees, but its not crucial to ford the river to enjoy the springs. you can easily walk across and up the hill to the pools.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

Brianjwilson - this is not the official GitOut trip. That one was moved from September to October. My self and at least one and possibly two other people from that group are going in September because we cannot go in October. I felt that it would be nice to have a few more rigs along so I extended the invasion to anyone here.

Carringb - thanks for the heads up.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Ah, spider mites... I guess that's why they call all those Labor Day springs attendees Burners.

Have a good time and report back. I was in the area a few weeks ago and just passed through again on the way home, and it was hot as heck. But nothing was on fire, thankfully.