Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
...It seemed like almost every vendor was giving the standard %10 "show discount", something you can get at pretty much every holiday blow-out sale or by signing up for a newsletter....
True, but a couple years ago I stopped by ExPo to buy and pickup my Oz Tent and associated accessories. I may not have saved a ton off the top, but I avoided paying shipping costs which would have been considerable, I avoided any shipping risk to the products, and I also got to witness and try for myself the setting up of the tent from the distributor.

Herb

Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #42

We've been going for 5 or 6 years...been through rain, snow/ice, wind, heat, and just about everything else mother nature dishes out at 7000ft in a giant wide open valley...while it was at Mormon Lake.

Given the distance from town and the lack of food options, one had to be 'overland ready'...and a certain amount of hardiness/ common struggle united the campers and day pass attendees.

The Expo has changed these past couple of years - this year marked an exponential change in both the number of attendees and the impersonal nature of it ... more convention center/trade show-like than previous years... less community and more impersonal.

In previous years, it was the EXCEPTION for a vendor not to have the latest product with huge discounts at the Expo... This year, it was the opposite - only a few worthwhile discounts and the amount of gear for sale was dramatically less. I came this year ready to drop coin, but walked away with a few small trinkets instead.

We love the Expo for the people and well, let's be honest, all the gear too. The best part about the Expo is the people with their trucks/trailers, seeing their setups, and making new friends. In years past, there would be lots of people walking around the campsites talking with the vehicle owners, getting ideas, and sharing stories....and we'll as I'm sure you can guess, it was less so this year. Much more isolated 'parties' and fewer mingling.

Talking with vendors is always fun...especially the owners, engineers and product managers... and in previous years it was more of an exchange of ideas. This year, the bigger vendors were much more interested in selling gear with salesy types than enthusiast types...while the small guys still embodied the enthusiast entrepreneur and were engaging.

It was great to see so many vendors offering purpose built gear and vehicles - the US market has been plagued with '4wheelparts' mass produced mall crawler chrome crap for years and the domestic expo crowd had to import or innovate solutions.

The level of commercial innovation and function driven design on the trailers and vehicle accessories was awesome - the sheer number of vendors from all corners of the globe was amazing...a far cry from previous years....

...but the level of expo mall crawler bling was up too with lots of 'neat crap' and mall appeal...and some of it was way over the top and much of it unnecessary.

I fear the Expo/Expedition ready 'label' will soon carry the 'Marine/boat' surcharge (even more so than it does now)...

There was also a change in the sportsmobile area - much more spread out and less of a community feeling. I recall strolling over to the Sportsmobile camp and lots of owners congregating ... I did see some of that, but again, it was less so this year.

It was much possible to get in and out in the past
for organized or impromptu side trips - and always cool to see groups of vehicles headed out/coming back from a nearby trail run. This year, we didn't even bother with all the congestion in/out the camping areas.

In the end, there is still nothing else like it in North America...and we will likely go again next year. This time we will be more organized with getting friends together. If nothing else, it's good to geek out on gear for a few days, but alter our expectations for what it is becoming...
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #43

Garage
I liked the old Econoline the best.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #44

I have a friend who came up for the Expo on Saturday and was told it was a 1.5 hour wait to get in. He ended up renting a bicycle in Flagstaff and riding down to the event.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
We've been going for 5 or 6 years... for what it is becoming...
That's a great and honest review and sums up my feelings exactly even though I haven't been to the West event. From what I can see and what I saw at Expo East a couple years ago it's just too big, too impersonal. Also, too flooded with uber-expensive garbage that most of us can't afford. Sure, I'm all about overspending on one's Sportsmobile but the true essence of overlanding seems to be going by the wayside. I could sum it up in one word: Earthroamer. They're not really going anywhere overlanders want to go. They're just turning up the extreme apocolypse-proof mobility vehicle about 8 notches. And, quite frankly, anyone who can afford one is probably not someone I want to associate with. Those types own companies that make in a day what they pay guys like me in a year. No thanks. I might show up and walk around the event someday but I'd much rather sit around a campfire with a few vans and geek out with the guy who finally just afforded himself an Aluminess bumper.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #46

I've been to the Expo at Mormon Lake a few years back, when it was a foot deep in mud. It was fun seeing the Unimogs having to be towed out... I also went the year the wind sucked up some of the vendors canopies. LOL. Last year was the first year at Fort Tuthill and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Especially the beer garden. This year I saw some memes about the 1.5 hour wait and thought I might ride my bike out there. I went camping and rode my bike in the woods instead. I needed that more than the latest and greatest $50 tarp tie down.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #47

One of the problems we had was that we signed up for all 3 driving/recovery classes on Friday, specifically because we could do them in the van. Over the years, I've done a bit of four wheeling and recovery, but never in a full-sized van. I was really looking forward to learning what I would need to do differently and what my limitations would be, aside from the obvious of weight and wheelbase.

We arrived Thursday afternoon hoping to get a decent camping spot and trying our best to keep our convoy group of 11 vehicles together. By 2:30 it was already quite packed, and they put us in the area between the stables. I grabbed what I thought was the end spot so I could get the van out for the classes on Friday morning. They ended up packing us in so tight that it was like putting 4 vehicles in a camp site built for 1 vehicle and we ended up surrounded on all four sides. Some didn't even have enough room to put their awnings out. It was kinda like "Housing Project Overlanding". I decided it wasn't worth it to try to get the van out on Friday morning for the classes.

One of the best things we did was bring our MTN bikes. Although we brought them because we had planned to ride some of the trails in the area, we ended up not making it out of the expo. However, they were hugely beneficial in cutting down the amount walking within the expo. Just going back and forth from the camping area to the vendor area was a bit of a trek.

We also made several visits to the Sportsmobile Village. Focusing on the Econoline builds, I think we got to check out all but the bright red and bright yellow ones. We could never seem to get the timing right on those two. Additionally, we rode our bikes through the camping areas checking out rigs and talking to some of the owners.

As newbies with a van that is only partially completed, the time spent in the vendor area was great for us even though we only purchased a couple of small items. Just seeing what's available and what the various options are for completing the build on the van made it worth the time it took to walk down every single isle.

By far the most beneficial part of these 3 days for us was the time we spent talking to the owners of the Sportsmobiles and Camper Vans that we met. Getting to crawl around the rigs, ask questions (lots and lots of questions...…. sorry owners), take pictures and walk away with a much better idea of what's possible for our van was worth the price of admission.

As much as we just want to get it done so we can use it, and before the money we have set aside gets used for other things, we are still going to take our time going forward. I know at some point we will have to decide on a build and just go for it, but for a little while longer, getting to talk with some more owners and checking out their rigs will be our priority.

This forum has been a great source of information. I’ve learned a ton just searching for various topics and reading through the posts. Unfortunately, we will be out of town and will again miss the Southern California Camper Vans and Coffee meet-up. Fortunately, I've already met with Boywonder and will be meeting up with 1der when we are in San Francisco next weekend.

Maybe buy the time the expo rolls around next year we will be answering questions and letting folks crawl around our rig.... Although if we can't get into the Sportsmobile Village or the real campground, I'm not sure we'd go.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #48

I went to the Expo on Friday and until noon on Saturday.
I thought the Expo was pretty neat, especially for ideas on van interiors. Although I'm very far into my build I got a few more ideas from some things I saw.
All of the vendors I came in contact with were very polite and more than willing to chat about their products.

I had to chuckle at times about some of the ridiculously huge and expensive rigs as well as a lot of the small gimmicky things. I mean...I get it, it's cool to be out and about but some people take this all way too seriously. After all we're just going camping in a vehicle.

I wish I could have met a few of you awesome folks during my time there.

I met Robert (rltilley) coming down Schnebly Hill and we chatted for a couple of minutes.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #49

Anyone thinking about Expo East? A few of us from the New England area are planning to make the trek down. Not intending to do the full experience. I intend to check out rigs and gear to get inspired for my home build. Also may hit some bike trails. It would be great to meet in person others on the forum.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #50
tlg

Garage
Smoker, we will be there sans SMB. Camping and riding. Riding and camping. Repeat. Looks like a great venue.