Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Overnight snow camp

Had to just get away and drink a couple beers around a campfire in the snow. Sometimes a last minute trip with a good friend is the best.

This is up near Dorington off of Highway 4 in CA (just north of Arnold). Great spot.

We got to the end of the plowed road and started heading down into the canyon through relatively deep snow. Stopped and hiked a little to make sure we weren't being too stupid to continue. Confirmed we were and kept going. Checked out one forest road, but ended up being blocked by a funky tracked vehicle that was abandoned with a broken track.

We turned around and managed to get back up to the main road, then continued down to the Stanislaus river. There is a trail just on the other side I've been down a few times. We disconnected the sway bar and headed in. There were some signs of others that had ventured back for a ways, then they stopped at a tree obstruction. A little sawing to clear the trail and on we went on virgin snow.

I'm continued to be amazed what this van will get me into and out of. I do wish I had lockers a few times, but in the end we made it all the way in and out without having to winch or shovel. Only damage was a minor ding to the rear bumper and a little fender flair rip from the new 35" tires.

I know that had I aired down the going would have been easier (C. Thwaites), but I was too lazy and the new 35" Toyo M/T's would chew their way through the snow as you can seldom get the vehicle to "float" on the snow.

Almost a full moon and rather mild temps made for a great night. Can't wait to get out again.

Anybody know what this is?

Yep, this is the trail.

It took throwing a couple rocks in a hole to get me out of this spot.

Camp site.

Aren't bears suppose to be hibernating? This was about 20' from our camp.

This was a cool spot. Looked tropical.

... and also got a little snow shoeing in!

A great little get away. Can't wait for the next.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Overnight snow camp

I would have loved to join you on that one. I plan to explore some of that area this year I hope. I've been in that area with my pickup years back, but its virgin territory to my Van other than crossing from 108 and driving up to Donnell dam and tooling around that area for a bit.

Nice Pics.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #3

Maybe a little get together sometime this year. If you are worried about pin striping, it's not the place for you. The trail is a little tight in places. Funny how I've done this in the summer when you can see all the boulders and pick a line fairly easily. In the winter, it's a lot more difficult to pick a good line up a couple sections when most of the obstacles are buried by snow.

If going on your own .... To access this trail, turn right on Boards Crossing Rd. just as you enter Dorrington. Follow Boards Crossing to the Stanislaus River. The trail leaves from the back of the picnic area after you cross the bridge. I'm not sure that the trail has a name, but you can't miss it.

It is an out and back trail and gets very tight near the end. Same trail I did this last year (doh!).

I'm much more cautious backing up now!

Phil

Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

Looks like you had a great trip. Bet you wished it could have been longer.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Team

You are much braver than I. Even if I had 4x4, which I don't, I doubt I would have tried the places you went to on this trip. But it is absolutely gorgeous. This is what Sportsmobiling is all about. Try doing that in an RV!!! Nanny, nanny, boo boo!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Site Team

You guys are much braver than me. I look at some of these snow trip pictures and the same thing always comes to mind.
"Donner Party"

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

It's funny looking at my post and pictures. These are the type of pictures that made me want to get a Sportsmobile so bad in the first place. Now I hope I'm giving someone else the same "need".

As for safety, I now this area pretty well and if worse came to worse, it was maybe a two hour hike to "civilization". I also may not be so brave if I didn't have a winch. I knew the weather was going to be phenomenal for quite a while. I just got back from up there again this weekend (trip to play with the kids in the snow) & daytime temps in the snow are in the upper 50's, maybe 60. At this rate, there won't be snow up there much longer (sorry to all those in below zero temps).

Quote:
This is what Sportsmobiling is all about.
I agree!

Phil

Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

The furthest I've been in (from 108) is Skull Cr. You were able to drive to the middle fork of the Stanislaus or is that the north fork?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

The trail head is right across the North Fork of Stanislaus from Sourgrass Campground. It's a paved road all the way down from Hwy 4 to the river. The road is not plowed in the winter past the last residence in Dorrington.

The other trail I was on (more of a fire road) for a while ends up at Boards Crossing CG on the map below, but I was blocked by that odd tracked vehicle.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I'm surprised it wasn't gated off like 99% of the forest service roads. Nice to be able to get somewhere away from the masses at this time of year.