Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
I agree Jeff, already missing it so much!
Lets plan on doing it again. I'm working all summer, but next year I plan to be on the road for at least six months. I'd love to do another trip with you.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Garage
Wow, thanks for all of the awesome ideas. I wish I was going this year.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #13

Lots of folks don't have the time to go all the way to Alaska, but British Coulumbia is much closer and has enough adventure to last a life time. You can find what ever you are looking for from hard core 4 wheeling to remote wilderness boondocking sites to beautifull, clean, amazingly scenic camp sites just off the paved road. I stopped at one about 90 miles South of Yellow Knife, (in the Yukon) it was July, there was no one there, the fire wood shed was full and the bathrooms were spotless, had hot water, lights, and showers, and not a generator in site, all solar. Awesome lakes, majestic snow capped peaks, forrests full of huge trees, enormous rivers, historic sites and what ever else you are looking for can be found. It's alot like Alaska since, after all, political borders don't change the geology or topography. So, if you really want to see Alaska but don't have the time this year, consider B.C.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Lets plan on doing it again. I'm working all summer, but next year I plan to be on the road for at least six months. I'd love to do another trip with you.
I'd love too. Let's keep in touch for 2017.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 AM   #15
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Hey DaveB...don't forget it was our maiden voyage for Sporty! 12K+ miles (round trip), and even saw our dear friend Pschitt at the Yukon River Bridge on the Dalton!! The beauty alone makes the Dalton a must...going over the Brooks range and making it to Prudoe is going an elite club that has DRIVEN that far north, and you'll get that 20+ hours of sunlight (depending which month you go)...gold pan on the way up and down just for fun! Go across the street at Coldfoot to the museum for a stamp and education...skip Fairbanks and keep driving! Take the Denali HWY if you can't make the Dalton...almost as desolate, plus your best chance to see wildlife... hike the 3.5 miles up Exit Glacier by Seward, stay on the Spit at Homer or just 15 minutes out of town on the cliff overlooking the bay, and if you want a real adventure NOT involving the van...take a Halibut fishing charter out of Nanilchik (I think I spelled that right)...you save a couple hours of boating to get to the fishing grounds...plus you get to keep some great fish to eat while your driving around....I would do Valdez, just for the seafood, and just to say you were at the end of the pipeline beginning to end is another rarity to can check off your list.... I think we are going up in '18 again for KTG (wife's) 50th...unless we win the lottery this year I know it's a long way off, but can't wait to see your pics!!! Talent my good man, TALENT!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #16

Garage
Thanks again for the great advice. I will definitely be heading up to B.C. this summer hopefully more than once. I have a good friend in Abbotsford that spends a lot of time away from the city. He should be a good guide.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #17

you may want to look at the Cassiar Highway as the better and less traveled route from BC to the Yukon. It's paved now, almost the entire length. Take a look at this for pictures from last year's delivery of the Sportsmobile Sprinter to Juneau.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskaV64t8
Umnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #18

I love the Cassiar, I just wish they hadn't paved it. Still, it's spectacular. Look for bears along sections that have burned in years past.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #19

Garage
I would also recommend Cassiar HWY. If you have time, there is a lot of side trip and detour you could do...