Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to illking
Planning: Coyote Flats planning / July 4th

Im looking at a 4 day weekend for forth of July. Im Planning on beating the heat & escaping the crowds. I havent been to coyote flats but it looks like a great long weekend trip out of los angeles!

Id be solo vehicle with wife and dog. Onboard air, tire repair kit, Agile 4x4 and rear air locker. Is this trail very difficult? I think i read in another thread some vehicles were over heating. I wonder if that would be a problem for me 33" tires, 4.11 gears 5.4 V8.

illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Sounds awesome. You'll be fine.. If stock SUVs and pickups can make it, your Agile van will have no trouble.

If you start to overheat, then it's time for lunch break!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

I have never done the trail but have read about it and it looks really cool!

I would poke everywhere and maybe even call the INYO county rangers office in Bishop to find out the road conditions. Record snow year means big melt off and possibly that area is still buried. Creek crossings could be messy and the road could be flooded in spots. These are just guesses, but considering the east side of yosemite and the devils postpile roads are still not open might be an indicator. Could be all systems go though too. Just guessing.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

My buddy and I did it about 3 years ago. Then I was driving my 100 series Cruiser, my buddy in his EB v10 hightop quadvan on 33's and loaded, we covered some extensive elevation and several alpine lakes. It was around June or July. He did just fine, he has arb front and rear. Downhill braking was major issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Call the the Rangers and FIND OUT: we just got back from the general area; and the heat melted Tons of Snow. Most creeks are in flood stage or at the least raging. I wanted to shoot up Pine Creek, within 10 miles north of Bishop, FLOODED and CLOSED.
Camped a few days in Rock Creek Rd's Big Meadows campsite, 24 miles north of Bishop, awesome. Raging creek flooding most of the creekside sites, but we found a dry site. 70 - 75* temps while Bishop was 108*!Lucked out.
Drove up to Mosquito Flats, elevation 10,400 ft. snow on ground, wet ground from melt off. Hiked to Ruby Lake, elev. 11400 ft. snow drifts most of the way up solid .25 mile of snow the last section to a frozen over lake. hail and and rain storm followed us back down with huge thunder claps!
You'll find cool weather above Bishop, BUT pay attention to closures and snow run off. The thunder storms rolled in every night we were out: 6/21 - 6/26.
Dispersed camped off Owens River Road, 45 approx. miles north of Bishop. Dry, no water, 75-85* temps: but we climbed all over the Clark Canyon volcanic tuff climbing routes. A lot of off road rigs were exploring the the 4x4 roads and having a gas!
Anyway, random notes, good luck, call first but HIT THE EAST SIDE for sure!!
m and M.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
New idea for the weekend onion flats but I really need to get up to coyote flats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #8

When?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to illking
Thanks for the tips! Ill call the ranger station before I leave but seems like theres plenty to explore up that way if coyote flats is a bust.

Any other suggestions? Like to avoid organized campgrounds and get away from the crowds. Hiking, fishing and dippin (hot of cold pools) are a definite plus
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #10

What kind of fishing you like to do??

Most of the high lakes are still buried.....if you can believe that....and the lower streams are raging.