Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Re: PNW Summer 2014 trip, CG/boondock advice needed

Just north of Tillamook is The Barview Jetty County Park, http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm. It is quite large and is only a short walk to the beach.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #12

If you're looking for some boondocking sites instead of campgrounds, here are some spots I've found. All these are 2WD access logging roads (but high clearance is helpful).

Tillamook area -- There are some logging roads just north of Tillamook, with moderate views of the town of Tillamook. Access these logging roads here: (GPS: N45.47826, W123.80107)

This first spot is a short drive off pavement, but shows some evidence of being popular with weekend yahoos (GPS: N45.4897, W123.8100):

This second spot is a bit more of a drive, but is more secluded, and has a west view of countryside (GPS: N45.4990, W123.8278). The roads can get a bit muddy in damp weather. Access via same location as above.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #13

National Forest areas just north of Mt. Rainier. I explored this area last summer, and found two great view camping spots:

This stunning Rainier view spot is less than an hour drive off pavement (leave main road near here: GPS: N47.07691, W121.58674), but seems to be popular on nice weather weekends. Just north of Mt. Rainier (GPS: N47.0166, W121.6810):

Here is another stunning spot (GPS: N47.0143, W121.9129), but a bit more of a drive. Northwest of Mt. Rainier. Access via (GPS: N47.10979, W122.02355):

Have fun!
-- Geoff
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Another alternative route would be to go north from Crater Lake up highway 97 to Bend. This is some interesting country with lots of geologic sites to see and some good boon docking sites as well. Head west from Bend on HWY 20 to Corvallis/Albany and then Newport. There are lots of places to camp in the forest on that route.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #15

Garage

In San Francisco, I use to camp in Candelstick RV Park, North of international airport. It's not cheap but there is a campground shuttle bus taking you to downtown in twenty minutes. So you don't have to kook for a parking place in town...
Old 04-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #16

Thanks all. Geoff, I think you've got me sold on passing through Mt. Ranier area for sure. Beautiful spots and shots!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Days 13-14: Head inland to Crater Lake area via 199 unless I get another suggestion. I've been here before but still would love input. After this we'll head back towards the coast via 138/38 to Reedsport.
Don't get me wrong, I love Crater lake, if you have already been there I think I might just decide to go right up the Oregon coast taking my time, the Rogue River is great place to explore.

if you do go
Quote:
Another alternative route would be to go north from Crater Lake up highway 97 to Bend. This is some interesting country with lots of geologic sites to see and some good boon docking sites as well. Head west from Bend on HWY 20 to Corvallis/Albany and then Newport. There are lots of places to camp in the forest on that route.
You might want to look at the McKenzie Pass, it is a seasonal road coming out of Sisters, there are fantastic views at the pass.

If you want to hike a mountain, South Sister should be very doable in August, probably enough snow melted.

If you do come out 199 checking out the Oregon Caves might be a stopping point, there are camp sites around there.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Is 50 across Nevada way superior to I-80?
I was struck by the "state-of-mind" that the 50 brought... I will be using that road again.
Last weekend I was down near Ocean City, Md., where US 50 starts. There's a cool road sign there that says "Sacramento, Ca. - 3,073 miles." I was in my SMB. It was tempting...

Attached Images

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Last weekend I was down near Ocean City, Md., where US 50 starts. There's a cool road sign there that says "Sacramento, Ca. - 3,073 miles." I was in my SMB. It was tempting...
Now is that where US 50 starts, or where it ends?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Now is that where US 50 starts, or where it ends?
Good question. Can't easily find the answer to that. Wikipedia doesn't help, although apparently US 50 originally went from Annapolis, Md., to Nevada. (Annapolis, Md., is on the western side of the Chesapeake Bay, and at the time there was no bridge allowing connection to the actual east coast in Ocean City, Md.). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50

I tend to think of most older routes "starting" in the east, mainly because that's where most of the road system was first developed, and then the roads migrated west. But I'm an East Coaster, so I'm biased

Apparently US 50 follows some of the old Santa Fe Trail. That's interesting...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote