Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #1

Portland to Mendocino, Coastal Route

Our Sportsmobile is heading up to Portland to Van Specialties for an interior overhaul and several custom modifications. The rebuild should take about a month to 6 weeks. We live in Truckee, CA and plan on flying up when the van is complete. We will head due West for a coastal trip, the long way, back home. Does anyone have recommendations on coastal camping in Oregon? We want to be semi remote to test out the new solar system. We have a 3 year old daughter who wants to dig for Razor Clams, so if there is a good beach for that, please chime in. I'm an avid free diver and we plan on stopping at a few of my spots for Abalone down near Mendocino before heading back to the Sierra's. If anyone wants to join us along the way, let us know.
Cheers
Jeff, Jules and Ella

jeffscharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

I just did Hwy 1 from L.A. to Washington, it's an amazing drive. Lots of beach camping in Oregon, but there were fewer spots in Calif. Also, check the new Abalone restrictions carefully in Calif, there were some large closure areas. Many years ago we use to dive near the Mendocino lighthouse, but for sure that area is now closed (too bad since I once got my limit in one dive). Be carefull in the woods too, lots of nervous farmers around.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

The coast itself isn't really semi-remote, although it gets that way fast if you head inland.

OR's state parks are the best in the West IMHO. Even the large ones up north (campgrounds and cities diminish in size as you head south; it's emptier near the CA/OR border). But they have both serviced and non-serviced sites, so just opt for one without electricity if you wanna test solar.

Or head inland; lots of USFS dispersed camping.

Another option are the federal sites that don't have hookups.

It's really hard to go wrong on places to stay. And lots of clamming; I was just in Cape Disappointment in WA and they were having a clam festival. Check your tides, licensing requirements, etc.

It all gets busy but I've found opening even in early June. Easy to reserve though. Some of the sites around OR dunes can get obnoxiously loud but those are the OHV sites and it's to be expected.

In CA the prices go up and the quality plummets. Still, Jedidiah Smith and Prairie Creek are really nice spots. But for solar better do Gold Bluffs at Prairie Creek since the redwood enclosed campgrounds get little sunlight.

Near Mendo I like Russian Gulch; a quiet little spot right on the highway with its own nice little beach.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

I think the best razor clamming is north of Seaside, but there are pockets of places that are pretty good as you move south.

A link to Razor Clamming Best Razor Clamming Beaches | Oregon Coast

They are plenty of great state parks on the coast.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote