Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Prior to crossing, you will probably want to have Mexican insurance, it’s required by law. I went without for many years, but these days I have too much to lose and get it every time. You can purchase it right at the border at little kiosks, just like buying coffee. It’s pretty reasonable and you can get it by the day, week, month or year. If you expect to be in Mexico beyond a couple weeks, it’s probably less expensive to buy a full year policy from an online club or agent. In the past, I’ve joined the Vagabundo Delmar boat / travel club. They offer a lot of benefits to club members, including guided trips, fishing tournaments, and insurance. The price to join and a year long insurance policy is about the same as a couple weeks insurance at the border.
http://www.vagabundos.com/index.html There are plenty of others too, a quick search will find them, so do your own research.
I recommend getting it online.. Quicker and easier at the border. These two are reputable:

https://www.bajabound.com/
Mexico Auto Insurance - Sanborn's Mexico Insurance

Quote:
You will also need some Mexican currency.
Credit cards are accepted in some places, but cash is king, including at gas stations. Peso’s can be bought right at the border, and the exchange rate is pretty similar at most Casa De Cambios (currency exchanges). They charge a fee, but it’s usually not much. You can shop around for the best rate, but their all pretty similar.
I never change money, everyone takes dollars, generally about the same exchange rate as at the border. You end up with Pesos as change, which can be used for small stuff. But if you want more pesos, exchanging not a bad idea, just not really necessary.

Quote:
Speaking of gas, it’s pretty easily available, but stations do run out, sometimes for days. It’s best to fill up when you can, and perhaps carry a little extra. Travel on a nearly empty tank can be stressful. Diesel is widely available, but since I don’t own one I can’t speak to the availability of ULSD. Rally, care to chime in?
I don't think they have much of it, I've never seen it, but I've never looked for it either. If they have it probably only at one or two stations in a few of the biggest towns.

Quote:
Water in Mexico has gotten much better in the last twenty years. Agua purificada (purified water) is available in every store, and in bulk at water filtration stores in bigger towns. I always make sure to have full tanks before I cross the border, and then buy more as needed. Don’t drink tap water.
Agreed.

Quote:
English is spoken in many places, but often times it’s not. Learning a few basic words, along with a big smile, and some sign language will almost always get you by. Folks always appreciate it when we foreigners try to learn their language, and they are very patient when we try to communicate our needs. I’ve never experienced anything but excessive kindness when trying to communicate in my limited Spanish.
Agreed.

Quote:
Check with your phone carrier to determine the cost of calls to and from Mexico, or buy a disposable phone with pre paid minutes at any XOX store (Mexican convenience stores) Wifi is available in most bigger towns.
Many companies offer overseas or Mexican plans.. $40 or $50 for a month or something with 10GB, that's what I usually do, although service is spotty outside of big towns.

Quote:
Driving at night is not recommended. There are plenty of free range cows and wild horses in baja and they like being on the roads. Mexican drivers can be aggressive when passing, so pay close attention to anyone coming your way. Trucks will take every available inch of road, often times including part of your side. Give them as much room as possible.
Jeff is more cautious than me, but the roads are narrow and often have no shoulder.. Like literally a few foot drop at the very edge of the white line. Truckers get paid to make time, so they don't dally around. Be aware. I think my best recommendation is don't drive tired, day or night.

Quote:
Expect to be stopped at military check points where they are looking for guns and drugs. The solders are very professional and courteous. Remove your dark glasses before stopping, have your passport handy, answer their questions, let them search your vehicle if they ask, and you will be on your way quickly. Do not carry drugs or guns. Even a single bullet or a roach in the ashtray will cause you untold trouble.
Agreed.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #62

Thanks for the info. Just so people dont have to fill out the quote to get $$$ breakdowns:

9 Days for a 50k van fully covered is $250, liability only is $50.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #63
Site Team

Garage
So what if you have prescription drugs at a check point?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
As long as they have your name on them, no worries.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Pretty much for any international travel, carry your prescription drugs in their original pill containers with your name on it, and a photocopy of your Rx wouldn't hurt either.

Herb
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #66

[QUOTE=rallypanam;209731]

"I never change money, everyone takes dollars, generally about the same exchange rate as at the border. You end up with Pesos as change, which can be used for small stuff. But if you want more pesos, exchanging not a bad idea, just not really necessary."

For what ever reason, I've always changed a couple hundred dollars at the border, perhaps in the hope I'll get a better deal than I might at a store or restaurant where their exchange rate is a bit less. Most likely though it will make little difference. But, since I'm really crappy at math, I don't have to strain my brain trying to figure out how much US money to hand over for a purchace. If I have Pesos left over after the trip, I simply save em for next time.

"Jeff is more cautious than me, but the roads are narrow and often have no shoulder.. Like literally a few foot drop at the very edge of the white line. Truckers get paid to make time, so they don't dally around. Be aware. I think my best recommendation is don't drive tired, day or night."

Thats good advice. Most guide books recomend not driving at night, but plenty of people do it. For me, it's an easy decision since I don't see so well at night. Besides, I'd rather be watching the sun set over the sea with a cold beer than driving somewhere at night.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #67

One other thing to add.. make sure to have registrations for all vehicles.. trailers, motorcycles, scooters, etc.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #68

We’re getting closer to race day. The way I now see the plan unfolding is individuals and small groups of folks crossing the border and heading down to the beach near San Felipe at different times, some arriving a few days in advance and some the day of the memorial.Ramseys partner Glen has offered to fabricate the memorial, but since he’s planning to race in the 1000, there won’t be enough time for him to join us at the beach.So, a few days prior to departure, I plan to take him out to dinner (along with anyone who wants to join us), where we can unveil the memorial, tell stories, have a few drinks and thank Glen for his help.With no exact date when this dinner will happen, and no idea where, flexibility is going to be key for folks who want to join us. I’ll announce the exact location as soon as we figure it out, but it will be a few days prior to leaving for Baja What will help now will be a show of hands of folks who hope to make some or all of the Baja trip,I’d also like some idea of how many folks think they would be interested and able to make dinner a few days prior to departure, location to be determined. So, who wants to go to dinner, and who hopes to join us in Baja?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #69

I'm 80% sure I will be making the trip to Baja and plan to meet up at the Agile shop for departure. Unfortunately, I wont be able to make the dinner with Glen.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #70
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ramseys memorial at the Baja 1000

I've got it on good authority from Erin when I stopped by today at Boulder Off Road, who used to run crew for Ramsey back in the day, that the 2017 course will follow a similar route to the 2006 race. There's one exception, the section between Bahia de Los Angeles and Santa Rosalia, where the course will continue to follow a route south along the coast.
Erin's wife is running it in the bug class(bad ass!). I told him about the plans for a plaque and a memorial up on the bluff, he's not able to make it as he's b-lining it down to Loreto, but was excited to hear about the idea and that so many are attending.
That being said, it looks like this means that the course will in fact go through San Felipe, on down to Puertecitas, Gonzaga and Coco's Corner-all places I would potentially like to check out if others are venturing down that far. Also potentially want to go to Guerrero Negro to check out the whales on a panga and do some fishing and exploring out towards Bahia Tortugas.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote