Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #51

[QUOTE=REF;208959] Thinking of bringing my KTM, will there be others? Robb, you bringing your bike? /QUOTE]

Bring it along Rick, I'd be happy to ride it for you. Did you find a boat yet?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #52
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
[emoji106].....right on! We've narrowed it down to a few boats, no hurry, will be keeping an eye out as they appear on the used market the next few years.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #53

What is the planned date of return? Or is everyone on their own after viewing the race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I had a long talk with John at Agile yesterday, and tried to nail down some firm dates for our memorial and race viewing trip to Baja. Since John and Glen were Ramsey’s business partners, and life long friends, we want to work the schedule around their availability as much as possible. While I know lots of folks need to make vacation requests as soon as possible, it’s been a bit difficult to decide on firm dates. There are a couple issues that came to light, the first of which is, we don’t know where the race course will run. It’s possible it will run right past San Felipe, or it’s just as possible it will run down the West side of the peninsula. The exact course is not announced more than a few weeks in advance and it may be as little as two weeks prior to the race. Our plan is to have the memorial a few days prior to the race, then depart to find a viewing spot. If the race passes San Felipe, that will be easy, but if not, it will require more driving, so we need a couple extra days flexibility. So, here’s what we sorta came up with. The race festivities start on November 14th and continue through the 18th, with the actual race starting on the 16th. If we assume the race will pass by San Felipe, the plan will mostly come together. John has offered to let us use the shop as a staging area prior to the race, and then lead a small group across the border, and on to our first camp site by way of the dry lake bed, and the Compadre trail. If a large number of folks show up, we will split up into a couple smaller groups since trying to keep everyone together on a border crossing is really difficult. Some folks will want to take in contingency (which takes place in Ensenada in the days leading up to the start) This is where the vehicles go through tech inspection, race vehicles are on display, the town is in full race party mode, and it’s a really fun scene. So, for those who may already be in Baja, want to experience the scene in Ensenada or who can’t make our crossing date, you can simply meet up with us in San Felipe. The current thought is to hold the memorial at El Pescadores which is easier to get to for those folks with low ground clearance and 2wd. It’s private property, but John knows the owner and will be in contact with him to discuss our use of a large group area. After the memorial, we will disburse to a race viewing area to be determined once the course is announced. So, were leaning towards meeting at Agile on Friday the 10th of November. If you can’t make this date work, you can simply meet us in San Felipe. (the exact location will be announced) I hope this is enough information for people to begin planning. It’s possible we may have to adjust this a bit, but flexibility will be the key to an enjoyable trip, just as it is with any road trip. In future posts, I’ll go through some of the details to consider when crossing into Mexico, like getting insurance, currency, passports, spare parts, maps, GPS etc. It may not go exactly as planned, but it’s sure to be a great time, and an opportunity to pay some respects to a great friend, someone who gave so much to the van community and asked for nothing more than a smile in return.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
What is the planned date of return? Or is everyone on their own after viewing the race?
This is less of a guided trip, and more of a "Do your own thing, but let's all get together for some camping, watch a race and to pay some respects to someone who gave so much to the van comunity" Having said that, there are several folks that have never been to Baja and have expressed a little concern about how the whole border crossing thing works. With that in mind, we expect some folks will want to meet at Agile for a group crossing. Others may already be in Baja, and will meet up with us at the memorial site, or cross by themselves at a later date. After the race, several folks have mentioned going deeper into Baja for different periods of time and others have to head right back. The chances are very good that what ever your schedule allows, there will be others with similar desires so no one should have to travel alone unless they prefer to. If you have a firm window in which you can travel, you can mention it here and hopefully hook up with folks who have similar availability. Meanwhile, I'll get working on putting together some details on border crossing, locations and other information. Hopefully, I'll have that out in the next week or so.
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #55

Sounds good, thank you. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to attend but having never been before, this is all new to me. Would definitely want to travel in and out with other people.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #56

In and out of Mexico is easy.

Generally you drive right in. Sometimes they'll stop you and ask to see your license/registration. That's it. They will never ask to see insurance until you're in an accident. So get insurance (easy to do online), or don't get in an accident.

Getting back into US pretty much means a few hours in a queue. Can be shorter, can be longer, depending on when. The couple days after the race will have long waits. Then you just need your passport. They may ask to look in your van, but usually not.

Easy as pie.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #57

Still planning on meeting up at agile to cross over with the group. I'll definitely not be able to take the full week off, so if anyone wnats to tentatively plan on heading back say on wednesday, thats what I will probably do. Can stay the night at our house in san clemente if you need a break before travelling further.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #58

If you have never been to Baja before, here are some things that will make your first trip a little easier.As I mentioned earlier, this is not a guided trip, its more of a meet us at the beach for some fun times sort of trip.Still, a few of you have expressed interest in tagging along with a more experienced buddy or two.We can certainly help make that happen, but there are some things you will need to do, to make the crossing easier for everyone.When you show up the day of crossing, you should have all your tanks full, gas, water, propane etc.Trying to get gas as a group is difficult and time consuming.Add in buying insurance, changing money, and other little chores, and suddenly it gets really difficult trying to keep a group together.A good number is three or four folks traveling together.I’m sure there will be plenty of experienced folks willing to lead a few less experienced folks, so don’t worry about crossing alone.
Make sure you have a current passport, and don’t forget to bring it.(I’ve only done that once.)
Prior to crossing, you will probably want to have Mexican insurance, it’s required by law.I went without for many years, but these days I have too much to lose and get it every time. You can purchase it right at the border at little kiosks, just like buying coffee.It’s pretty reasonable and you can get it by the day, week, month or year.If you expect to be in Mexico beyond a couple weeks, it’s probably less expensive to buy a full year policy from an online club or agent.In the past, I’ve joined the Vagabundo Delmar boat / travel club.They offer a lot of benefits to club members, including guided trips, fishing tournaments, and insurance. The price to join and a year long insurance policy is about the same as a couple weeks insurance at the border.http://www.vagabundos.com/index.htmlThere are plenty of others too, a quick search will find them, so do your own research.
You will also need some Mexican currency. Credit cards are accepted in some places, but cash is king, including at gas stations.Peso’s can be bought right at the border, and the exchange rate is pretty similar at most Casa De Cambios(currency exchanges)They charge a fee, but it’s usually not much.You can shop around for the best rate, but their all pretty similar.
Speaking of gas, it’s pretty easily available, but stations do run out, sometimes for days.It’s best to fill up when you can, and perhaps carry a little extra. Travel on a nearly empty tank can be stressful. Diesel is widely available, but since I don’t own one I can’t speak to the availability of ULSD.Rally, care to chime in?Prices are similar to those North of the border.
Traveling as a group is easier if everyone has radios.Lots of folks who travel Baja regularly have “race radios” These are high power fixed units that use a lot of common frequencies and will transmit great distances.Others use ham, CB’s and FRS hand helds (family radio service) If you have any of the FRS radios,bring them along.I’ve got a few, and can loan them out to anyone traveling with me. I also have ham, CB, and can use race frequencies.If you have a scanner, it’s fun to listen in to race communications too.
Water in Mexico has gotten much better in the last twenty years.Agua purificada (purified water) is available in every store, and in bulk at water filtration stores in bigger towns.I always make sure to have full tanks before I cross the border, and then buy more as needed. Don’t drink tap water.
English is spoken in many places, but often times it’s not.Learning a few basic words, along with a big smile, and some sign language will almost always get you by.Folks always appreciate it when we foreigners try to learn their language, and they are very patient when we try to communicate our needs. I’ve never experienced anything but excessive kindness when trying to communicate in my limited Spanish.
Check with your phone carrier to determine the cost of calls to and from Mexico, or buy a disposable phone with pre paid minutes at any XOX store (Mexican convenience stores) Wifi is available in most bigger towns.
Have a Baja map, AAA offers a decent one. A GPS is useful too.I navigate with an Ipad and a few different apps, including “You need a map” and others.
There are a few toll roads and they are inexpensive and worthwhile.If you see a sign that says “Topes” slow down, it means “speed bump” and some are quite serious.
Driving at night is not recommended.There are plenty of free range cows and wild horses in baja and they like being on the roads.Mexican drivers can be aggressive when passing, so pay close attention to anyone coming your way. Trucks will take every available inch of road, often times including part of your side. Give them as much room as possible.
Expect to be stopped at military check points where they are looking for guns and drugs.The solders are very professional and courteous. Remove your dark glasses before stopping, have your passport handy, answer their questions, let them search your vehicle if they ask, and you will be on your way quickly. Do not carry drugs or guns.Even a single bullet or a roach in the ashtray will cause you untold trouble.
Make sure your vehicle is well maintained, your spare tire is inflated and bring some tools.
Travel in Mexico can be very rewarding.Be respectful and remember that it’s not our country.Due to our current political situation, I would avoid political discussions, and wearing a Trump T shirt is definitely a bad idea.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten something, but experienced travelers have learned to just take things as they come.It’s going to be a very fun time………………….cheers
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #59
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Great advice. A friend had suggested having ice cold cokes on hand for the soldiers at the military checkpoints when we went down there years ago in a rented 30' Cruise America RV, it definitely came in handy and was well received.

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Great advice. A friend had suggested having ice cold cokes on hand for the soldiers at the military checkpoints when we went down there years ago in a rented 30' Cruise America RV, it definitely came in handy and was well received.

SMB RB50 w/CCV top
They'd much rather have some old Playboys.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote