Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

Re: Sand and tire pressure

P.S. And sandy two track is awesome on a dirtbike!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #12

We went to White Pocket last April. Turns out I was more worried than I needed to be after reading tales about how soft the sand was reported to be.

We have an E-350 SMB, about 9K lbs, running 265/70R17 tires. Normally I run 50/70 F/R on the road. I aired down to 35/40 psi F/R. I was fine.

I bought a set of TREDs sand ladders specifically for the trip, but never had to use them.

While at the lot, we met several people. One car was a Mazda Tribute loaded with 3 big guys and camera and camping gear to the roofline. They said they didn't air down, but they did have to push it out once on the way in.

Another was a commercial tour group in a Suburban with fat tires, but the driver said he ran around 35 psi all the time and never had a problem.

What made me take my fear down a few notches was a couple from France that rented a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport in Las Vegas. His biggest complaint was that the Jeep wouldn't remain in 4WD when he turned the key off. They never worried about getting stuck. Ignorance or driving skill, I couldn't judge.

Other vehicles we saw were a Tacoma with a 4 Wheel camper, an old Dakota, an Equinox, some 4WD trucks, and an Outback. None seemed to have trouble.

Stubborn cows protecting their calfs (calves?) in the road turned out to be our biggest obstacle.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input....... It was absolutely no problem at all. I ran 25lbs and pulled a smb trailer and would not hesitate to do it any time of the year. This is a trip all of you should do........ it is amazing and remote, you need a couple days as the light cycle changes the entire landscape. The kind of terrain and desert solitude these rigs were built for. I will post some pics and a small report in the coming days.

tully is offline   Reply With Quote