Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #11

Re: Seattle to Banff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spomo1
Trip plan is growing... does anybody know where I can easily find the regulations for camping in Canada parks outside of campgrounds? is it the same as for US National Forrest? I am looking around the Kelowna area.
There is no camping in Provincial or National parks outside of designated campgrounds. Outside of the parks themselves, however, there are lots of opportunities. About 94% of BC is Crown land (or state-owned), similar to your National Forest or BLM land. The rest is private. The challenge is knowing what is Crown land. If it's not signed or gated and you're out in the boonies away from houses and other buildings, you're probably safe. There are also many free (or cheap) forest service sites throughout BC (maybe a picnic table or a pit toilet, but little else).

Around Kelowna, most of the lower valley down by the lake is privately owned, but there are plenty of Provincial and private campsites. There are numerous forest service sites up in the hills to the northeast - dense forest riddled with forestry roads and plenty of small lakes. Great way to escape the heat of the valley, too.

There is lots of great info here, including a map of forest service sites around Kelowna. A link from the same page goes to a 2007 PDF file explaining BC's recreation (or forest service) sites, including a list of all sites and when fees apply. Your challenge will be to locate the sites, given a name and general region only.

Some good info here. And more info about BC's recreation sites here.

Good luck, Spomo1 and Roonie. Sorry, I don't have any info about Alberta. Enjoy your trips. We're heading in the opposite direction, down to Washington and Oregon for two weeks.

Cheers,
Brent

Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #12

Brent.

Great help and thanks for posting!.. Right now it looks like we will stay two nights around Kelowna and then into Banff and leverage TwoLost's experience and hit Canmore and explore a little. After that it is south and back through Montana.

Roonie. Looking forward to anything you find out and Brent, If you in the Seattle area and need anything let me know.

Terry.
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Wow this is a great post As we are heading to Banff in the 21st of this month. We will be camping and exploring all over the heading up 93 from I-90. I really dont have any laid out plans just going. The only plan is to spend a few days hiking around Banff and having Dinner in that Hotel. Last year we spent a few hours walking around but had to get back on the road to AK this year we have 2 weeks to just hang out.
hope to see you guys up there.

Ron
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14

You will miss me as I will be in Glacier NP or home by then. If not I will be the only big white van around and say hi.

Zach
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #15

I will for sure. I have a 2wd White Chevy Express. I will keep my eyes pealed. the wife is asking if you can update in the camp sites as you go. Sounds like we are going the same route up.

Thanks.
Ron
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
the wife is asking if you can update in the camp sites as you go. Sounds like we are going the same route up.

Thanks.
Ron
I will try and do this if there is wifi available. I am turning off send and receive on our iPhones as I don't think AT&T covers Canada. We will be back on the 15th so I will put up some info then. Trying to fit everything for a family of four into the van for a week + is the challenge right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #17

Thanks man.

I even leave the dog home.
Have a great trip.
Ron
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #18

97 opened back up recently since it closed due to mudslide heading up it now
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #19

If you want any info message me as we got back late last night. One of the best trips I have ever taken! No internet access at all in Canada due to international rates applying so we turned everything off the entire time. We are already planning our return trip again.

fyi... at night it would regularly get down to mid 30's... Almost every morning we would wake to about 45 degrees inside van (no heater). Bring warm clothes. We rarely wore shorts.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #20

Welcome home! Cant wait to hear about it. It should REALLY cool down by September!!!

Id love any info you have, we have some things penciled in but nothing booked yet.
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote