Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Seattle to Florida

Having recently retired, we now have some time to really enjoy our SMB, and to escape the winter rains of Seattle. We thought a road trip to Florida would be just the ticket, we hope to be there in time to spend Christmas with siblings and my 97 year old mom.

We left Seattle 2 weeks ago, traveled nearly the entire length of the Oregon coast and and the California coast from the Oregon border south to Cambria. We had Thanksgiving dinner in a nice restaurant in Paso Robles and now have made it to Ajo, AZ where we are boondocking on BLM land under a magnificent star filled sky.

I'm lucky my spouse is into this adventure just as much as I am, and our little dog is having the time of her life as well. We have largely avoided the interstates so far, preferring the slow routes. Our only real excitement was not knowing that CA SR 155 over Greenhorn Pass had already got snow and the road was snow covered and icy. It was dusk when we hit the snowy part and few places to turn around, so we ended up climbing to the 6100 foot summit. We're 2wd and had no chains, as we were deliberately trying to avoid any snow, so we decided to camp at the summit rather than head down the 13% grade in the dark. We had a cold night down to low 20's but the propane heater kept us warm enough. In the morning we found made it down without a problem thanks to the sanding truck that went before us.

Hopefully that will be the last of the snow. From here we head East across the Southern US. Any advice about great camping spots along I-10 corridor would be appreciated. Photos to follow.

Brad

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

Re: Seattle to Florida

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Pay attention to the weather in NM. It is possible to get snow there too.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Damn Brad, I'm right behind you and hoping to look forward to retirement. Seeing a bit more of the US after next Feb is kind of a bucket list thing. Glad you're having a good time... it's what we all slave for I think but I'm still on pins and needles dealing with the up coming life change. Not having to wake up and go to work after doing so for 40 years is... well, not what I thought 30 years ago. The post you made here is reassuring. Thanks.

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #4

Some pics from our trip so far. California Redwoods, Big Sur, and tonight's camp in Las Cienegas Conservation Area SE of Tucson.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040756.JPG   P1040601.JPG   P1040528.JPG  
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Awesome, what a great trip! I definitely recommend our every year spot in the Florida panhandle, Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Long name, great place. It's probably full of snowbirds, and you'll see a lot of elaborate rigs and diesel pushers, but it's an all around amazing place. Beach access by bike or walk and lots of amenities. We were just there. PM me for more details if you like.

Also, if you make it up towards the Smokies get in touch. I can give you lots of info and advice on places to see and stay, free and otherwise. It would be a shame to come this far and not see the Blue Ridge Parkway or at least a little of the Appalachians. Not anything like your big western mountains but they have a quaint beauty that is good enough for us.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Congratulations on your road trip and your retirement. I'm currently practicing for retirement and have to say I like it a lot, can't wait to do it full time. The ability to just wander at will with no real schedule is priceless and leads to some amazing discoverys those with limited time often miss. Enjoy.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

how did you keep the penthouse warm in the cold weather?
mamameins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

Planning on doing a similar trip. Looking for ways to make I10 tolerable, maybe even skirt around it where possible. Be sure to include info on all your stops, especially Texas which I hear is very desolate. Ideas, maybe the NPs along tye way. Seguaro NP. Sure sounds like fun!
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool View Post
especially Texas which I hear is very desolate.
All of the middle is desolate. Ask me how I know.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

Hey! Anybody home?

You left us hanging after Arizona. What happened next?

Did you get caught up in a flood zone? Thunder storms make you turn back? Or perhaps the threat of a tornado?

I was watching weather and road conditions through February. Orlando, Florida got too much rain to make WDW any fun!

Please let us know how it all ended.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote