Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #31

Re: Sedona/Flagstaff

Sounds to me like we need to circle our wagons somewhere and go for a ride

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I'll just chime in because I'm a know-it-all and can't help myself

Zion is not close to Moab. It's sort of one area or the other for me. There's kind a huge lake in the way. Albeit it's shrinking.

But if your hitting the Zion area, Gooseberry, Little Creek, and Guacamole are all right there. If you come down 89, Thunder Mountain near Panguitch is a classic ride. The Brian Head stuff may be a go but it's pretty high elevation and sometimes the trails do not open until July. Not this year. VRRT near Navajo Lake is worth hitting if you drive over on hwy12. If it's really hot, hit Rainbow Rim and/or AZ trail on the North Rim of Grand Canyon. The St. George trails will be cooking by mid-May.
A know-it-all who knows it all. Having relied on Joe's suggestions in the past, they're worth following. We made Rainbow Rim and Navajo Lake last year, didn't get to Thunder Mountain (but may get there soon) and visited Brian Head but didn't do the official trails. All worth it with Rainbow Rim at the top of the list though slightly out of the way.

Don

P.S. I understand there are some hills and dells between Moab and Zion as well.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #33
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
We're game. Current plans are Zuni Mtns the last week of April, Flag toward the end of the first week in May, and Utah to Colo after the Expo. (That includes Memorial Day weekend in the Zunis but I don't think it will be crowded. Certainly not like Sedona or Moab.)

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
We're game. Current plans are Zuni Mtns the last week of April, Flag toward the end of the first week in May, and Utah to Colo after the Expo. (That includes Memorial Day weekend in the Zunis but I don't think it will be crowded. Certainly not like Sedona or Moab.)

Don
Thanks for the kudos I might be game for Zunis end of April. It's less than a 3 hour drive for me and I just drove 7 to do one ride but it was pretty good-the Palm Springs Epic. Going somewhere Memorial Day but not sure I want to tackle the crowds in Moab. I thinking some of the high elevation stuff in Durango/San Juans/Telluride might be a go. Snowpack was like 30% of normal this year.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the kudos I might be game for Zunis end of April. It's less than a 3 hour drive for me and I just drove 7 to do one ride but it was pretty good-the Palm Springs Epic. Going somewhere Memorial Day but not sure I want to tackle the crowds in Moab. I thinking some of the high elevation stuff in Durango/San Juans/Telluride might be a go. Snowpack was like 30% of normal this year.
The MTBR guys say Durango/Phil's World are open. High country will probably depend on the post-ski season dumps in the next two weeks.

Don

Old 04-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #36

Quote:

Heck yeah mister! .........Hermosa Creek is another of my favorites....it's been decades since I've ridden that one....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
The MTBR guys say Durango/Phil's World are open. High country will probably depend on the post-ski season dumps in the next two weeks.

Don
Phils was open and the parking lot packed when I went by it in March for a ski race at Purgatory. Raider's Ridge and Telegraph/Horse Gulch are dry but nothing in the high country just yet. Snowing in the Wasatch. I don't know about you in NM but we just get the wind. And dust.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:

Heck yeah mister! .........Hermosa Creek is another of my favorites....it's been decades since I've ridden that one....
How about camp off the road to Hotel Draw or near Hermosa TH. Shuttle to Bolam Pass. Colorado Trail up and over Blackhawk Pass to Corral Draw. Down that to Hermosa Creek. Climb Hermosa back to camp or with a longer shuttle finish all the way out Hermosa. Tasty. Maybe in June before the monsoon thunderstorm season kicks in.

That does it, I'm skipping out of work since all I'm doing is posting on the internet and going for a ride. 50F in Flag today. burrrr.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #39

Quote:

How about camp off the road to Hotel Draw or near Hermosa TH. Shuttle to Bolam Pass. Colorado Trail up and over Blackhawk Pass to Corral Draw. Down that to Hermosa Creek. Climb Hermosa back to camp or with a longer shuttle finish all the way out Hermosa. Tasty. Maybe in June before the monsoon thunderstorm season kicks in.
How many miles is that loop?......I'll bring my KTM.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Phils was open and the parking lot packed when I went by it in March for a ski race at Purgatory. Raider's Ridge and Telegraph/Horse Gulch are dry but nothing in the high country just yet. Snowing in the Wasatch. I don't know about you in NM but we just get the wind. And dust.
Plenty of wind here. Almost average mountain snow at the beginning of March, gone by the end of the month. Fresh snow on the Sangres at sunset today, more in Colorado: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.VS8SVHBOKrU. Much needed if late.

Don