Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #41

Re: Sedona/Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

How about camp off the road to Hotel Draw or near Hermosa TH. Shuttle to Bolam Pass. Colorado Trail up and over Blackhawk Pass to Corral Draw. Down that to Hermosa Creek. Climb Hermosa back to camp or with a longer shuttle finish all the way out Hermosa. Tasty. Maybe in June before the monsoon thunderstorm season kicks in.
How many miles is that loop?......I'll bring my KTM.......
22 miles if you climb the 3 miles back up Hermosa but it's a long back-country ride for sure. Blackhawk is a burly climb but the downhill to Hotel Draw is awesome and then it's only another 3 miles to Corral Draw which is 5 miles of 10" wide trail dropping through meadows and along a ridgeline to Hermosa. People forget there's a fairly lengthy climb on the traditional Hermosa Creek ride as well. Anyhow, all kind's of options in that area.

I did an awesome version of Blackhawk last summer with the guy who built most of Phil's World. My mtbr thread here: http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/two-moun ... 59583.html

Gooseberry is a logical place to circle the wagons. Great camping and riding right out the door with all kinds of options and bail outs. Much less committing than Durango. Or, a fun social ride on Rainbow Rim.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #42

You can all come hang at my place outside Durango and with so many SMBs, my wife will have to see the wisdom of it all. Riding moto or pedal is all good out here.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpaDowna
Sorry to hi-jack for a second but JoeH do you happen to know Garro? Random question I know, but he's been round Flag for years and was one of the guys that got me in to riding.
Hey, since your coming down to pick up your Coconino tonight was the 20th anniversary of his mtb trip across the length of Baja. 1300 miles in 18 days. A totally badA$$ adventure of the extreme. Roman Dial type stuff. The slideshow was tonight at Mother Road Brewery and it was awesome to see all the old faces. https://www.facebook.com/events/460054934162349/

Sorry to go OT on this thread but since it's sort of become a default Sedona/Flagstaff biking thread I thought I'd add some context. My favorite quote.

Quote:
Been thrown in Mexican Jail, had a knife held to my throat {my own knife} in Chile, been mobbed by kids {scary!} held at gunpoint, mistaken for narcos, snuck through gas riots in Peru, social upheaval in Bolivia, the bank meltdown in Argentina {people were PISSED! "isn't it nice - all the bonfires?" my wife says....} almost crushed by an ambulance on "the world's most dangerous road" in Bolivia, found a dead guy in a ditch, was offered drugs by the federales, had an Aymara woman slinging rocka at us - all to get hit by a car going to my friend's house for dinner! - Garro.
Attached Thumbnails
Garro.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote