Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Seeking advice for SoCal weekend quickie / LA area

Hello SMB family,

we just have the weekend available but an intense desire to get away for a night.
Is anyone willing to volunteer advice on a great boondocking spot in the 4hr driving range of LA, preferably going north / higher elevation?
We are located in Canyon Country and would love to have a little solitude for two days....
Our rig does have 4x4 but we aren't looking for an extreme drive (at least for this weekend).

Thanks so much!

Anette

PlayOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Right on the edge of your 4 hour journey is Naciemento-Ferguson road in Big Sur. Plenty of info on google. Free camping, but there will definitely be people there. However I think the view is worth it and have driven from Orange County to stay one night there.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing other responses, as I will soon be 4x4 capable, and love getting away for the weekend.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks so much for your kind advice! I'll definitely check that out as soon as I get home tonight!

Anette
Old 08-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

You inspired me to look at old pics, this was from just below where we camped

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Can't go wrong going to the Big Sur coast, but a wildfire had Highway 1 closed as of Monday (http://sfist.com/2016/08/15/soberanes_fire_fells_trees_in_big_s.php); good to check on conditions before heading there.

Closer to home is the Old Ridge Route paralleling I-5, a historic road over the Tejon Pass, originally built in 1915 (http://www.ridgeroute.com/story6.htm). You pick it up headed northbound in Castaic. Near the top of the grade is a graded gravel forest service road, 7N23, which goes up to ~5000' elevation headed east toward Liebre Mtn. and Sawmill Mtn. in the Angeles National Forest, and presumably some cooler temperatures. I can vouch for the Ridge Route, but haven't been on 7N23; will be exploring it this weekend. Google Earth shows open terrain, with numerous turnouts suitable for camping. We like our solitude, too, but who knows, we might cross paths if you go that way.

Best of travels!

JK
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

Garage
We have come to enjoy Yellow Post for both they are off the path and are free.
San Bernardino National Forest - Camping & Cabinsispersed Camping
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Thanks so much for chiming in. While the coast sounds great, I'll save that for a longer weekend when the fires are over.... Jack, the Old Ridge seems like a good idea. We were thinking about Frazier Park and above.
I think we'll just pack up, hit the road and see where we land
Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Another place to consider is Pine Mountain campground on Pine Mtn Ridge Road, off the 33, north of Ojai Here it is on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//34....7,15.75z?hl=en
It will definitely be cooler. That's the first place I took my brand new SMB in mid-July 4 years ago. But there aren't many campsites so it could be crowded.
- Steve
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #9

May want to confirm with the forest service prior some of those Angeles roads around sawmill and liebre mountain have been closed due to fire damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

We just hit the road and I think we figured it out. Obviously we have a bunch of recent fires and fire damage, so we will avoid those areas. We heard about a few forest roads that connect Jawbone OHV and the Sequoia NF, so we are heading up there to explore. I'll report back