Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Sequoia and Kings NP recommendations

We are heading up to that area next week for a couple of weeks of camping/hiking. Likely stay at Sentinel Campground near Cedar Grove the first few nights since we have car/tent people joining us and they want tio be close enough to a lodge and showers. Then perhaps Azalea Cmpgrnd near Grant Grove for a couple of nights since Sentinel is set to close Nov 14th.

Any recommendations for some nice easy/moderate off road areas for dispersed camping in the van? Seems like there are some nice fire roads to be explored in the area just outside the National Park boundaries. We would love to get up and away to some nice quiet remote spot with great views and a bit of hiking

I appreciate any recommendations of which are the better roads in that area to explore or avoid. Thanks!

Ray

Old 11-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

That's a tough locale because it's all National Park.. but if you head a bit south take the Mighty 190 out of Porterville up the mountain. You can do pavement all the way up and over to Kernville, or there's tons of trails/graded roads/other great stuff up there.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
I'd suggest the Davis Flat Trail trail as a scenic drive but think the Rough fire that ran through there a year or so ago might have took a toll. Not really a lot of places to boon dock on that route anyway. I also don't know how far the fire went into the NP area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
That's a tough locale because it's all National Park.. but if you head a bit south take the Mighty 190 out of Porterville up the mountain. You can do pavement all the way up and over to Kernville, or there's tons of trails/graded roads/other great stuff up there.
I've done this. It's an amazing drive. I'd really like to do it on 2 wheels but still a great drive in anything. We saw countless possibilities for offroading off that hwy/road but were 2wd then and didn't try any. Lots of mountain bike activity in the area too.

Locals will know but isn't the boondocking on the Kern River pretty amazing?

Ray, while you're between King's and Sequoia proper, check out Princess campground if you never have. It's one of our favorites. It's at the top of King's Canyon just as you start down on the right. Even if you don't stay there drive through and check it out and if you have time park at the loop/hike trailhead for Indian Basin. It's a short walk, maybe a couple miles, but is beautiful.
At the bottom of King's Canyon near the end you'll find Zumwalt meadow, another short hiking loop of a few miles. It's our favorite spot we've ever been and so special to us we named our dog after it. Yes, I'm serious.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

My wife and I went to both Kings Cnyn. and Sequoia in June and September after we picked up the van and returned for followup, and agree with Scotty about Princess campground: was quiet and not crowded in mid-summer, very nice spot as far as campgrounds go, don't know how late in the season they are open. Continuing east on 180 toward road's end, the highway passes through a section of Sierra National Forest, where you can camp at a number of small turnouts right adjacent to the King's River.

Another section of national forest with remote camping potential is off 180 north of Grant's Grove and south of Hume Lake, with quite a few dirt roads traversing the area. I have limited personal experience there, but looks like some good off the main track possibilities according to the map. We camped off of forest service road 14S11, with my intent to check out Buck Rock, a fire lookout, the next day, having read that a panoramic view awaits at the top. We ended up going to Sequoia and Lodgepole instead. In view of the fact that I still haven't outfitted with recovery gear, that was probably a good choice (influenced, ahem, in no small part by my better half). Will be going back there next year, properly equipped and with more 4X4 miles under the belt.

Happy trails!

Your custom box, by the way, well thought out design and execution.

EDIT: Resolution on the image is not the best, due to limitations on allowed file size; the section is from the Sequoia National Forest map.
Attached Thumbnails
map003a.jpg  
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote