Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #11

Garage
Re: SMB has a hard day

J, I wasn't meaning to give you a hard time!

The road to Cottonwood Canyon is fabulous. When you get to the saddle, where the sign says 4x4 needed, it is correct. Put it in low and ease on down that rocky right turn. After that it is much smoother. The end of that road is little bit of heaven. Coming back up, stay in low and when you get to that last rocky climb, just power up it slowly without stopping. Cottonwood road comes to a definite end and does not go through. I don't know where Oasis in Fish Lake Valley is.

I've taken Crooked Creek road in quite a ways, but never all the way through. Wasn't sure if it came out anywhere. Good tip!

BTW, I've stayed numerous times at the Crooked Creek Research Station that you pass by. Always with a photographic workshop. Spent a lot of time around the cow camp, and explored many mines in the area. I've been up to Barcroft, too.

Here's on from DS Cow Camp you'll surely recognize.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Cottonwood road comes to a definite end and does not go through.
The road might end but the trail does go thru, it is being concidered for wilderness status(WSA) and the Bishop locals are fighting it, citing it as a established "route". Oasis is at the junction of 168 and the Fish Lake Valley highway right on the CA/NV border, there is nice camping on Cottonwood Creek above the diversion for hay fields. I have driven ~ 5 miles up Cottonwood Creek from the bottom with my Toyota. Lower Cotonwood Canyon has great dove hunting with the birds flying out the canyon to the hay in the morning and back up the canyon in the evening.

The road to Dead Horse Meadows does not follow Crooked Creek it climbs out then comes out in middle Wyman Canyon, Crooked Creek itself joins Wyman near the bottom near White Mnt City.

Its been ~15 years but I used to do a lot of chukar and deer hunting in the Whites. (lived in Bishop/Mammoth Lakes for 20 years)

We hit the cow camp perfect, Deep Springs College was driving up Wyman with gear and cows for the high country as we were driving down it.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Was your friend wearing a helmet?
No. He is 50+ years old, skis ~125 days a year, bike rides ~125 days a year, and has been doing that for the last 25 years. He has never worn a helmet and I dont believe he will start now.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote