Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #81

So Cal SMB winter meet up 2012

I'm in for a gift exchange too...

SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #82

Garage
Re: So Cal SMB winter meet up 2012

I was in Borrego this past weekend and took some pictures of the Fish Creek site that I had previously recommended. This area is located outside of the park so state regulations do not apply (i.e. you can have a normal pit fire). If there is any forecast of rain do not go to Fish Creek since it's a huge flash flood zone.

Little Blair Valley is another excellent spot and there are some group campgrounds, all primitive with no facilities. Little Blair is more picturesque than Fish Creek but I prefer the 4X4 trails in Fish Creek. It's been years since I've been there so I can't recommend an exact spot.

Enter Fish Creek from Split Mountain Road. About 1/4 mile from the turn off there is a small sign on the right side.

Follow the road up and stay to the left.

You can fit a bunch (20+) of SMB's in this area.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #83

Nice recon Tapatio. iPhone 5 panoramic?

DaveB and Tapatio bring up a great point.

Lets designate an alternate if Fish Creek doesn't pan out due to weather or if it turns out to small. I've never been to Anza so I can't advise.

For our alternate location, can anyone second Little Blair or any other big campsites that allow campfires?

If you show up to the meet and don't find anyone at Fish Creek we'll be at the alternate. Ill have my CB on channel 16 just in case.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #84

Tapiato - The entrance to Fish Creek and all along the jeep trail to Split Mountain is in the ABDSP boundary so your statement about in the ground pit fires is incorrect. However metal container fires with ash removal (not burying them) is allowed so I don't think that should be a deal breaker for anyone. Why take a chance with the rangers and a ticket. Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #85

Garage

That specific area was a mine a long time ago and was never incorporated into the park. You can drive up to the top and see the abandoned mine. Following the park rules couldn't hurt but the rangers have never bothered us in the past 20 years that we have been going there.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #86

I just found a nice set of routes in Anza and other locales; see:

http://offroadinghome.djmed.net/califor ... fornia.htm

If you fire up the kml file in Google Earth, and look at the "nice camp spot on Fish Creek" up the Split Mtn canyon, it looks a lot like the picture posted for the potential site. Lots of other routes as well.

Rob
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #87

Garage

Thanks for sharing it rob !
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #88

OK... Trip planning at hand.

As mentioned earlier, not a Sportsmobile, but I really think y'all might like it.

I just called the park and they say that Fish Creek is not accessible by 2wd.

Crap!! Is that true ??

Hoping not, so your anticipations will be satisfied.

Steve W
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #89
Site Team

It's official: Unfortunately we will not be at this Meet and Greet. We are moving to Wyoming at the end of December. I know, a horrible time to move to Wyoming. We are leaving the warmth and sun of Las Vegas and moving to a place that often is the coldest spot in the nation. Since I grew up there, hopefully I will re-acclimate and be able to tolerate the cold once again.

We hate to leave the many unexplored places in this area --Anza Borrego being one of them -- but we are looking forward to taking our SMB to new places in Wyoming. And we will miss our association with the fine folks we've met at Meet and Greets in California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona. Hopefully we will be able to join up with you good folks some time in the future.

Have a great time at Anza. It sounds like it's going to be wonderful. Take lots of pictures.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW
OK... Trip planning at hand.

As mentioned earlier, not a Sportsmobile, but I really think y'all might like it.

I just called the park and they say that Fish Creek is not accessible by 2wd.

Crap!! Is that true ??

Hoping not, so your anticipations will be satisfied.

Steve W
From what I've researched, granted I've never been, its doable in 2wd. Some recommend pressuring down the tires a bit. Soft sand is what the rangers concern is. They also recommend high clearance too.

Also I'm reading that that the 1st part of Fish Creek (mile or so) is more 2wd friendly than the deeper parts.

Tapatios review of this camp was that it was 2wd accessible.

Can anyone else comment on this?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote