Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
So Much for the Lost Coast

Guess where I went!

I had them install an upper bunk in my rig, and then I set off to explore with Daveb.

After a couple days with Dave, I went to Monterey for a week and then set off for my Lost Coast adventure. I spent 5 days driving up Hwy 1 with many stops to explore and take pictures:

Followed the crowd to Point Reyes Lighthouse and saw these guys:

I loved Elk, CA , a beautiful little town perched right over the ocean.

Turns out, Edward Weston was here in 1938:

I camped North of Fort Bragg on Monday night, and set off early Tues morning to find this extraordinary road:

Once at the beach, I found this:

Turns out something has been damaging Usal Rd during the winter months. Could it have been these a******s?

[youtube:2zouwelb]

What a beautiful place, great waves, animals, birds and smells--at least after some jerk's diesel fumes dissipated. The beach, however, shows much damage from the aforementioned a******s. It's horrible to think not only are we losing the state parks, but they will be destroyed by guys like this when there is no supervision at all. On that note, I looked at several privately owned RV parks on the way up. Except for the KOA, they were dumps with people living in them. Not much to look forward to if they are our only choices along the coast--I don't even LIKE meth.

So after one terrific night I set off for home, but had to snap this one in Willits:

Pretty much sums up my SMB experience on this trip: warm, comfortable, TV, internet etc.. Great rig.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #2

Great photos. Sounds like a fun trip We have a similar problem in Oregon with roads and campgrounds being closed for the winter. But then again I am not a big fan of camping when it is 40F and raining. Makes me miss the winter days in the southwest. Dry and warmer.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Re: So Much for the Lost Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Guess where I went!

Turns out something has been damaging Usal Rd during the winter months. Could it have been these a******s?
Naw, probably was this one.

So was it just a sign or did they actually have the road blocked off? It isn't winter yet!
There is one short section of road, about 100 yards long (where the video was taken) that is a problem area after a rain. You have no problems going in the downhill (north) direction, only on the uphill direction. The video does look a lot sloppier though than when I was there. Lockers engaged pulled me right out of there.

The Lost Coast area above Usal Road (Shelter Cove to Ferndale) in Humboldt County is all 2wd accessible and equally beautiful with clean, meth-free campgrounds.

My guess is with the tragic murders this year and the ensuing successful manhunt of a survivalist, there will be a big crackdown of meth labs in Mendocino County.
Attached Thumbnails
Usal Mud.jpg  
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

The road is gated.

We all cause damage to the roads, but the mud bogger guys go up there to specifically get stuck and tear up these public roads.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Glad you made it with no problems Tom. Looks like a great trip and brings back memories of a few years ago. That same sign was up when I was at USAL but the gate was open. After seeing a jeep coming out, I decided to skip it. Later I found out it was not that bad.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #6

Did you take the Mattole Road at all ??

Humbold State Park?
Petrolia?
Capetown?
Ferndale?

Mrs. Wilson and i are headed up there Xmas

Would love to know

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Mrs. Wilson and i are headed up there Xmas
Maybe we will see you.
We should be in Fortuna and Ferndale Xmas Eve. Then head into 6-Rivers National Forest, but if its snowy we will divert for the north end of the Lost Coast between the mouth of the Mattole and Shelter Cove.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote