Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #1

SoCal to San Antonio Trip Planning

This June we are planning a 10 day trip to Oklahoma for a Family Reunion. We'll be camping our way to and through Texas to get there. We have stops planned in Las Cruces, NM, San Antonio, TX and Fort Worth, TX to sleep and/or see the sights. One night each spot except for San Antonio where we'll spend several nights. After we leave Fort Worth it'll be back to familiar stomping grounds in Oklahoma. My families reunion is held biannually at Roman Nose State Park, which may well be Oklahoma's smallest lodge. We rent every room available and its basically just family staying there that weekend. Several days of family and then we'll blast across I-40, sleeping in whatever truck stop we're by when we get tired.

My questions are, what should we not miss in terms of sights? Any "so good I want to write home to mama" eating spots along the route?

East of Tuscon we want to visit Chiricahua National Monument. Around Las Cruces I don't have any specific stops. Probably just look for the best Green Chili restaurant I can find... those Hatch Green Chili Peppers are good eating.

San Antonio we will be visiting The Alamo and the Riverwalk for sure. May stop in Austin. Fort Worth is The Stockyards for sights and food.

I always have people tell me about some incredible place we should have visited when I tell them where I went. Hopefully this trip we see the best of the best.

What say you? Any suggestions?

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

Garage
As far as restaurants go in Cruces, my favorites are Nellie's on Hadley, Chope's in La Mesa, and La Nueva Casita on Mesquite. I also love the green chile & cheese tamales from Roberto's on Amador. The rest of their food is just OK, though.

In NM, chili generally means chili con carne, or "Texas" chili, and chile means New Mexico green or red chile. It's weird, I know...

BroncoHauler live in Cruces, I think. He probably knows a few great spots.
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
In NM, chili generally means chili con carne, or "Texas" chili, and chile means New Mexico green or red chile. It's weird, I know...
Doh! I knew that. I used to spend time in Alamogordo and Cloudcroft, NM. I thought it looked weird as I typed it. Irregardless of spelling I love the green chile of New Mexico.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

In the Las Cruses area you could pop up to White Sands National Monument and then down to Carlsbad Cavern. Also there is Guadalupe National Park North East of El Paso.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #5

Been to White Sands a few times. Pretty cool. I forgot about Carlsbad Caverns. Never been. Lady Shadetree can get a little claustrophobic underground but the caverns don't look too bad. Need to see how that affects the rest of the trip if I divert that far North before San Antonio. Thanks for the idea.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

If you come back on I-40 through Amarillo, you could head a bit south of town and camp out at Palo Duro State Park. Pretty cool canyon out there on the prairie. It's their version of the Grand Canyon. Good hiking trails all over the place if you wanted to do that. We went for a short hike the following morning before heading out.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Site Team

When you are in San Antonio, do not miss visiting all of the missions. I believe there are seven of them and each is interesting and unique. They are definitely more interesting than the Riverwalk, although the Riverwalk is worth seeing (particularly at night).
Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Tim,

I should have responded sooner, just swamped with work and my kid's activities.

Unfortunately, Cruces isn't the greatest town for good restaurants. Since you mentioned Hatch green chiles, have you actually thought of a minor detour, getting off I-10 at Deming and taking the 26 to Hatch itself? It should only add 30 minutes or so to your trip, and gets you off the Interstate for a while.

If you do go to Hatch, I really recommend the Green Chile cheeseburger at Sparky's BBQ. Absolutely outstanding, and the place is an interesting sight both inside and out. You can pick up a bag of fresh, or roasted, Hatch chiles while you're in town as well.

Sparkys Burgers & BBQ | Hatch NM | Hatch, New Mexico’s Best Burgers, BBQ, and Espresso

However, if you do want recommendations in Cruces, let me know and I'll post some up.

Herb
Old 03-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #9

Garage
Strongly suggest Dirty Nelly's on the River Walk (San Antonio) - its been our favorite for a long time. Irish Bar with Piano entertainment in the afternoon/evenings (many customers sing along - great fun). believe they still allow you to purchase raw peanuts and brush empty shells to the floor...the more shells the better the time!

http://www.durtynellyspub.com

***get there early because most people stay the majority of the evening because of the ambiance & entertainment.