Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #111
Site Team

Garage
I sure felt the heat as the sun returned to normal. Trying to focus through an LED screen sucks. I got a few worth looking at but nothing great.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00712PH.jpg   DSC00722PH.jpg   DSC00729PH.jpg   2017 eclipse 2.jpg   2017 eclipse scope.jpg  

2017 eclipse 1.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 AM   #112

Garage
Western Oregon Path of Totality

The best thing about the timing of this eclipse in August is that we nearly never have clouds or rain in the Portland area. What a great day! Got up and on the road by 0400 to drive thirty miles south of here into open farmland in "The Path". Pulled off the road onto a nice gravel area beside a field. The owner came by and was really friendly about letting me spend the day on the back 40. The van was a perfect basecamp for the seven hours I spent out there. And the traffic back wasn't too bad... bumper-to-bumper for an hour and a half and then free sailing in Portland. I guess I wasn't the only one who thought that area would have good viewing.

It really was a spectacular thing to see. I hope I still have the van in 2024 'cause I already know all the improvements I'd love to have by then to make it an even better trip.

And, oh yeah... When it went to total darkness, the coyotes were howling like crazy and all the birds started flying around the field. And my dog came out of her crate in the van and started pacing. Something about it, for sure!

O-dark-thirty:

The Van is the perfect basecamp, with all my supplies inside:

Those tinted windows make all the difference when the sun starts blasting:

A 4x4" solar filter on my Pentax 300mm lens:

The first shadowing made the sun look like a gigantic lemon cookie with a bite out of it:

The "Diamond Ring" effect, when the moon's shadow just begins to move off the sun. The darn thing just blows your mind:

Old 08-22-2017, 12:38 AM   #113
Site Team

Garage
Wow that is a fantastic pic of the diamond effect.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #114

I agree, amazing shots!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #115

75% here in Philly. Clouds off and on, which cleared just enough at maximum eclipse to get a glimpse. Crummy iPhone photo, but you can see it. The clouds were sort of a filter.

We were going to drive down to SC or TN, but after taking five weeks driving XC earlier this summer we didn't want to spend another 2-3 days on the road. Plus, it was looking iffy with the cloud cover (glad we didn't go to SC...).

Great pics everyone! Thanks for posting.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #116

Garage
dave, your pix are the closest to what I actually witnessed with my own eyes other than coverage. colors were almost spot on to what I was looking at here. great shots! kath, that last shot is awesome! thanks for sharing everyone

been seeing some great shots around the webs. the nasa shots were beautiful.

did anyone notice how the shadows prior to totality were fuzzy on left side and clear on right then changed after totality to fuzzy/unclear on right side and perfect lines on left?

also, my wife got to feeling a little motion sickness/woozy during eclipse. we didn't think much of it other than all the medications shes on, but now a day later I see a bunch of people experienced that. kinda crazy...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #117

Garage
spontaneous drove to Salem OR to be in the path of 'totally worth it' on Sunday night, thats why we all have vans right.

I didn't expect it to be that spectacular, but it was one of the most amazing things I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2599.jpg  
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #118

Garage
Wow, great shots, everybody!

DaveB, I agree, the live-view method was a pain, with all the reflections on the glass. I gave in right in the beginning and focused through the prism.

LOL, Maxx, got a real kick out of the "path of totally worth it."

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #119

We watched the eclipse in Murfreesboro, TE, where totality lasted about 1 minute. On our way there, we were passed on I-81 westbound in TE by a short wheel base maroon Sportsmobile. We exchanged thumbs up. We were able to get a few good pics. I have attached the best . Taken with a SOny A77ii and 70-300mm lens plus teleconverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Totality-small.jpg  
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #120

Great photos everyone!
We just watched the PBS Nova special last night on the eclipse - it was fascinating. Highly recommend it!

Tags
solar eclipse 2017