Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #21

We don't have the SMB yet, so camping is out. I used that same tracking map and checked hotels. Virtually everything in OR is booked. I found only two available at about $1200 for the night of the 20th. The wife said No. I think it is going to be a zoo. If we already had the SMB, I would plot a route up a forest service road in the Cascades, go up 2-3 days early, then just sit and wait. C'est la vie. I saw one as a teenager.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
I followed the 2013? eclipse but it wasn't as total as this one is going to be. Got all set up and found my batteries on my camera were dead. It was a disaster from that point on. But it was interesting for sure. I have a little H-Alpha sun scope which was cool to look through. I also took a small telescope outfitted with white light filter. I used another white light filter to look through visually and took a lousy hand held camera shot when I had enough battery to get off the shot.
Attached Thumbnails
solar eclipse 013.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #23

Trying to decided whether to drive down south from Pennsylvania, or sit here and enjoy 75% of the eclipse with no effort :-)

Maybe a road trip to finally meet @86Scotty in person is in order? I just got back from five weeks and 7,000 miles of roadtripping in the SMB, so I'm kinda road-tripped out at the moment, though.

A really good interactive map, with times, percent of totality, etc., is at:

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

Click on a point in the map and you'll get a pop-up with approximate times and all that (note times are UTC, so you'll need to adjust for your location; east coast is minus four hours from UTC, I believe, while PT is minus seven hours).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #24

We will be at SMB West for a couple of days on 8/15 for some service work. We think we will head up to easter OR or perhaps into ID and watch this thing. Wifey is on board as this will be a total and once in my lifetime at least. We will just look for some out of the way county roads or forest roads and set up camp at least a day early. Seems like a good plan at least for now anyway.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #25
Site Team

Some people may not know that to see the total solar eclipse one must be at the exact center of the pathway, not just anywhere in the shadow path.

Here is a list of cities and the exact spot within the city where totality occurs: Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Cities in the Path of Totality

For two bucks you can download the Solar Eclipse Timer app that will tell you how close you are to the center of the eclipse path. The difference between seeing the total eclipse and non-total can be as little as 100 feet. Obviously there will be many people crowding small spaces unless one finds a total boondock, barely accessable spot to view the eclipse.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #26

We are thinking of heading out Hwy 26 in eastern Oregon. More research to do, but we have several other things we want to do in the area that week, thus we will most likely limit our expectations and deal with whatever we come across.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire View Post
Some people may not know that to see the total solar eclipse one must be at the exact center of the pathway, not just anywhere in the shadow path..
A partial eclipse will occur over all of North America, the northern part of South America, the eastern tip of Siberia, and a fraction of western Europe and west Africa, as shown in this map.

A total eclipse will be visible anywhere within the band shown on this map. The significance to being closer to the center is that the totality of eclipse lasts longer. If you are at the center of the band, Sol will be eclipsed by Luna for over two minutes. The longest will be 2 min. 40 sec. If you are near the edge of the band, Luna will eclipse Sol for less than a minute.

Online tables for each state with a list of cities within the band of total eclipse and the amount of time each location will be under full eclipse are located here.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #28

I am going to stay home! In Central Oregon they say 1,000,000 people will be showing up for this and the traffic is going to be at a stand still. We own a helicopter company and 7 of our helicopters are already booked up moving people for 3 days. It is going to be nuts!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
We think we will head up to easter OR or perhaps into ID and watch this thing. Wifey is on board as this will be a total and once in my lifetime at least. We will just look for some out of the way county roads or forest roads and set up camp at least a day early. Seems like a good plan at least for now anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
We are thinking of heading out Hwy 26 in eastern Oregon. More research to do, but we have several other things we want to do in the area that week, thus we will most likely limit our expectations and deal with whatever we come across.
We are planning a similar trip. Head up to Eastern Oregon (between 395 and Idaho) and find a remote location on BLM or FS lands the morning BEFORE the eclipse. I'd expect nicer spots near water (lakes, rivers and streams) to be taken, but I don't forsee a crush of people setting up that early in a very hot clearing with nothing much to do for the next 24 hours.

I've got the Oregon Benchmark Road Atlas and have some ideas where I will go. I also double check with Google Maps satellite views to verify dispersed camping viability and sufficient clearings for sky view.

Been toying with the idea of blasting up on my motorcycle to do some scouting ahead of the real trip.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Might want to steer clear of anywhere near Madras. Every single campsite within fifty miles is booked - including dispersed and extras the state and FS opened up - and they're expecting many thousands to be converging on the area. It's predicted to be a traffic nightmare even days ahead of time.

My plan is to wake up at 0400 and take a ride down the road a few miles, pull over into some farm driveway and wait. Hopefully, there won't be thousands of other Portlanders with the same idea. But, hey, that's what vans are good at, right? Got all my stuff, my dog, my drinking water, my cooler. And a great Sienna recliner to nap in while waiting.

I'm not sure why it matters to see this, but it's a free day for me so... why not?

Tags
solar eclipse 2017