Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #51
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Awesome. My yard will have 4 people in it and the usual amount of campers. There are currently no spots available.......however money does talk.

I must say that my Sportsmobile mentality has me wondering why anyone would follow the herd into a crowded place to see something in the sky. Whether I saw full, partial or whatever no way I'd be sucked into the fray.

YMMV
Well plan on whoever shows up to hang around until the traffic clears

Lady on the news was showing her ranch in Oregon (several acres) all speced out for the eclipse. She has been fully booked up for quite some time. 1000 bucks per camp-spot.
I have a meeting a week after so all the news rhetoric is making me think about just staying home. If the traffic is wild as suggested, at least it will be a good test of the highway system.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #52

I'm headed north.. but not in the van. Taking motorcycle to be able to bypass traffic.. I mean sure, lane splitting ain't legal in OR, but I figure the cops will have other things to handle..

It's going to be a shitshow, but I feel like I got to see it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #53
Site Team

Garage
In case you don't go out it's cloudy: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...clipse/536148/. A bit wordy but worth reading for her comments on the shadow towards the end.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #54

We are heading out of So-Cal FR AM towards Madra OR but frankly open to any ideas as we haven't found any camp spots. Anyone has room for another Van in their spot :-). Plan to head south Tue towards the hidden coast, back in SoCal Next Sat.

Maybe SMB can meet in some public land spot? PM me if anyone is open to something like that!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
We are heading out of So-Cal FR AM towards Madra OR but frankly open to any ideas as we haven't found any camp spots. Anyone has room for another Van in their spot :-). Plan to head south Tue towards the hidden coast, back in SoCal Next Sat.

Maybe SMB can meet in some public land spot? PM me if anyone is open to something like that!
Don't recommend heading for Madras without a guaranteed place to stay. That's ground zero for gathering in Oregon as its touted as the best site for viewing based on weather.

I'd look at finding a location in public lands off of Hwy 26 somewhere between John Day and I-84 in eastern Oregon.

Use a very detailed map (like Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas) and Google maps (especially satellite view) to find a few target areas to aim for. Plan to be extremely self sufficient with gas, water and food (think zombie apocalypse ready) as you enter Oregon.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
We are heading out of So-Cal FR AM towards Madra OR but frankly open to any ideas as we haven't found any camp spots.
RV Camping Eclipse Pioneer School - Weiser Schools

Weiser, ID schools are renting out their athletic fields. $50 per night, 3 night minimum.
LandVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #57

I'm going up from Fort Collins to hopefully find a spot somewhere in WY. I'm worried about the amount of traffic heading that way from the front range...
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #58

We are planning on heading up north of idaho falls. Anyone know of any sweet camping spots out there? Doesn't look like too much of forest access nearby (see attachment). There is a bit out to the east of heist, etc. Though, by the mountains may not be a good idea for clouds, etc.

Any idahoans out there with advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.21.27 PM.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #59

I'm headed to Goldendale Wa. It's just outside the path of totality, but the eclipse is not the main reason I'm going. Hopefully, traffic won't be so bad since it's outside the path. As for finding a camp spot, when it's time to sleep, I'll just pull over anywhere I can find a parking spot and pull the blinds.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #60

We've researched from the coast west to east all across Oregon and have decided to head for western Idaho. We usually find out where the crowds are and go the opposite direction, in this case we want to see the main attraction and we will deal with it. Post-eclipse, let's plan to finish this thread with stories and pictures of what we saw and experienced. We plan to spend the rest of that week seeing where Flint wants to take us, we just may go east to west across central Oregon and see what the aftermath of the expected crowds looks like. Or we may head north, yet TBD!

Tags
solar eclipse 2017