Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
We were in Portland last week and it was hotter and had dirtier air than the CA Central Vly. The smoke had my eyes burning and my asthma was trying to trigger.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #82

In the vicinity of Mesa Idaho in the band of totality this Saturday evening. Traffic coming up from the Bay Area was steady but not bad. Most people we have spoken with are here for the eclipse and it is obvious there are lots of extra people here, but so far nothing of concern regarding traffic, fuel or crowds. Tomorrow may be a different matter, but we made it to where we want to be with no issues and tomorrow we will stay off the road and wait for the show to happen.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #83

^ Thanks for the update. Enjoy the show!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #84

2 dead in small plane crash near Oregon eclipse viewing site - ABC News
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #85
Site Team

We are in Riverton, Wyoming for the eclipse. The traffic was very light on Saturday and we were shocked at how few people there were in town. The city had obviously planned for the masses and had events with only a few people in attendance. We are assuming there will be a lot more people driving up today and filling up the hotels and camping spots. We shall see.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #86

I think it's awesome for the members who could make it out to view but when it's over will be car-magedden
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0959.JPG   IMG_0962.jpg   IMG_0961.jpg  
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #87
Site Team

Garage
Well not the best shot... a little out of focus but was just testing. At least we'll get some of it tomorrow about 80%. Poor timing to make it to and back from where I was planning. I envy all you who make it there and hope you get good viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00481 - CopyPH.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #88

Garage
Nice! Did you use a 10-stop filter for that shot?

FYI y'all... don't subject your camera to a straight on shot of the sun/eclipse. Unless you want to torture your sensor. Just like it will burn your retinas, it'll burn out your sensor, too.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #89

Thanks Otter, I did not know that. I was hoping to take some shots. I guess it's fine in the minute or so I get of totality, right? Hoping to get at least some memorable shots of this thing. No fancy camera gear here, just a DSLR Canon Rebel with a telephoto lens.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #90

For those who will be in the zone of totality, a little bit of history and science here. You will get to see something that proved Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. Einstein's theory predicted that gravity warps space, altering the trajectory of both mass as well as energy waves passing through it.

From an angle measurement, and due to the sun being almost 400 times farther from Earth than the sun, the moon has a slightly wider angular measurement in the sky than does the sun. This means, according to Newtonian physics, the sun should be totally obscured by the moon, with absolutely no light from the sun visible.

According to Einstein's theory, however, light which passes by the sides of the moon is traveling through space which has been slightly bent back toward the moon by the moon's gravity. Einstein theorized that enough of this light would be pulled back toward the moon to create a halo (aka corona) effect of light glimmering around the moon's periphery.

After positing the theory, other physicists rushed to view the next total eclipse in order to test the theory. Einstein was so sure of his math that he didn't even bother going to watch. And of course he was proven right. When you see that corona, you are seeing proof of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. Note: he also posited the Special Theory of Relativity.

One other note: Other planets have more than one moon, thus they must have individual names. Also, other stars have names. Most people call our star the sun and our moon the moon. Many do not know that our sun and moon actually have proper names: Sol and Luna. Adjectives which come from these: solar and lunar.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar eclipse 2017