Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

Solar Eclipse - 8/21/2017

We are thinking of driving up from the Bay Area to see the solar eclipse in August. Anybody have/know of a great spot to view it? Any interest in picking a spot and getting together? We have no plans yet other than to go, often that's enough!

Here is the Path of Totality, any recommendations as to a good spot?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Garage
theres a few counties here already claiming a state of emergency in anticipation of the proposed crowds. others gouging folks 500 bucks a slot for camping on private property. im not sure I even want to be near the direct path. might be a great weekend to stay home for us potatoheds. watch it from my backyard...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Garage
We are heading up to Idaho to see it with some friends. Luckily, we have a cousin who lives in Shelley, ID so we have a place to stay. I am so excited to see this!

I hope you can find a place to watch it. We've been looking for a place for a year and we discovered that the rest of the world also is looking for spots. All the campgrounds are booked. Hotels are booked. We even know of farmers who didn't bother planting and instead are renting space in their fields. Another cousin of mine has a cabin in Island Park, ID and they rented out the driveway and yard space for tents.

Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

I am also interested in finding a spot in eastern Oregon or into Idaho. It will be the start to a 2 week trip!
I know cities, campgrounds, and hotels will be packed. What do you think about boondocking type spots? Is there a chance to get there a day or 2 early and find a dirt road with even a pull out to park in for a while?
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

I will be in Prinevile in at a family member's plane hanger to view this once in a lifetime phenomena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

We will be at the Georgia - South Carolina border.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
MSD

Garage
We'll be up in Wyoming to see it. Hopefully it won't be a zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #8

Do you have to go outside to see this? I mean, really, what's going to happen? Won't it be on TV? Can't I DVR it? Will they sell the video mail order on TV? Can I get some knives or something with it? Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Psst. I'll be in my yard I hope. They say the path is right through my neck of the woods.........whoever they are. How do they know this stuff anyway?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Do you have to go outside to see this? I mean, really, what's going to happen? Won't it be on TV? Can't I DVR it? Will they sell the video mail order on TV? Can I get some knives or something with it? Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Psst. I'll be in my yard I hope. They say the path is right through my neck of the woods.........whoever they are. How do they know this stuff anyway?
Install the Sky Guide app and you can watch the whole thing right now! Get it over with and avoid the crowds.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Here is the Path of Totality, Tennessee
86Scotty , It looks like You will have a front row seat.
Attached Thumbnails
TN_web.jpg  

Tags
solar eclipse 2017