Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Sportsmobile at Falcon Heavy launch

I drove our Sportsmobile from Massachusetts down to Florida for the most recent Falcon Heavy launch. I arrived ahead of the scheduled Sunday launch so that I had time to tour Kennedy Space Center.

The launch was delayed and rescheduled to Tuesday and then Wednesday due to weather. On Wednesday morning I drove to Playalinda Beach, just North of the launch site, and arrived before the gate opened at 6am to ensure that I was able to park in parking lot #1, closest to the launch site.

I enjoyed a day at the beach and giving tours of the Sportsmobile to curious beach goers. Unfortunately, the launch was canceled that Wednesday due to wind sheer in the upper atmosphere.

I did the whole thing over again on Thursday, parking in very nearly the same spot I had occupied on Wednesday. It was sorta like the movie Groundhog Day as events pretty much ran as they had on Wednesday. I even got to hang out with some of the fellow launch viewers and beach goers I had met the previous day.

Around 635pm, the Falcon Heavy carrying Arabsat 6A lifted off. Along with photos taken with my dSLR and long lens I captured the launch on a GoPro set up behind my Sportsmobile.

The rocket lifts off from just behind my van and appears small due to the distance and wide angle lens of the GoPro, but I wanted to capture a "you are there" scene with my Sportsmobile. Turn up the volume to enjoy the amazing sound of 27 Merlin engines.

https://youtu.be/Hp6XgBXlFJ4

grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Garage
How much fun! Great video to share - much appreciated. I'm sure the roar of the rocket was much more pronounced than what the video shares.
We live directly across the Naval Academy, consequently we all benefit from the Blue Angel fly-overs and the shows they put on...tell you those are loud aft of the plane - Unsuspecting tourist fall to their knees in brief horror. Locals just deal with the fact our Pets will be in hiding for several days.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
How much fun! Great video to share - much appreciated. I'm sure the roar of the rocket was much more pronounced than what the video shares.
We live directly across the Naval Academy, consequently we all benefit from the Blue Angel fly-overs and the shows they put on...tell you those are loud aft of the plane - Unsuspecting tourist fall to their knees in brief horror. Locals just deal with the fact our Pets will be in hiding for several days.
Oh yes. I'm a big fan of air shows and have been to a number of them. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to how loud those jets can be.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote