Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #11

Re: Spring Break in Baja Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabman
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Oh heavens no. D-Max as 6.6 ltr Duramax as in Chevrolet:
Oooops sorry about that I got the confused by your using D-max... Stupid of me as I new about your mega-rig
Well, I wish it got the mileage of an Isuzu. This thing is a pig.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

Scat, Conception/Coyote is a great plan for a meet up. Perhaps hang there for a couple and explore north from there. Let's firm up some dates as it gets closer. When exploring, we can ride with you guys through the narrow stuff. In return, you can take care of business in ours (although there's something spiritual about using the "Cactus Commode" when traveling in Baja). You know, I think I just named our camper.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Out of curiousity, is crossing at El Centro an easier shot to Guerrero Negro than Tecate or TJ? One consideration is that most of Baja is out of diesel because of the storms...
It's been a few years since I've crossed at TJ, but up till then, I thot El Centro was eaiser. Since we live on the east side.... The road south on the east side is paved to Huerfanito. There is always diesel (ahem, NEVER say always) at Rancho Grande. I haven't heard of any shortage of diesel from friends down in Baja. Hell, we can always find a dead whale on the beach and render down some bio....
Thanks for the offer to take care of business in your "rig" deminimis, but it's going to be embarassing enough to be traveling with a rig like yours. We'll stick with the "cactus commode" but might let you help out with the pliers if I lean back too far.
We'll keep in touch and set up a meet later on. Right now we're up in the States, but should be down in Baja in a couple of weeks. I'll also check into the availability of diesel. I would think it's not a problem as the Mexican Govt knows the country runs on diesel and goes to great pains to make sure the stuff is wherever the trucks need it. Never had a problem with gas or diesel in the past forty years. Worst case is just talking nice with the locals and most things appear....
Hope you can make it webbmac.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #14

Scat, you hit the nail on the head. When we honeymooned in Baja back in the day, we were advised to get a diesel rig for Baja. Why? Because truckers will sell you their diesel on the cheap (El Jefe is paying for it, so the driver likes the extra pesos in his pocket). Never resorted to that, but nice to know its a possibility in a crunch situation. I'll check on the diesel situation as my buddy just drove his Dodge "Come-A-Part" up here and back. Me thinks its not an issue.

LONG LIVE THE CACTUS COMMODE!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #15

Right on. I'm sure if things were scarce right now they'd open up by then anyhow. Sorry to spread any false alarm, I just had heard there might be shortages south when I was filling up in TJ last week. It's just me overcompensating for my small....tank (31g, what a POS). I plan to go to Aero tanks soon, too, but probably not before March.

I will try to make the meetup. I will be getting off a plane from India (work) on the 14th, so I might need to rest a day or two before heading south if I can pull it off.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #16

I would LOVE to do Baja this year, but can't make it down until April. I've wanted to go for years and years, but never made it yet. 'Life' always gets in the way I'm hoping I get there this time.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #17

Mike, if you keep letting "life" get in the way, you'll never get out alive. Seems a little rescheduling on your part is in order.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #18

No worries, 'life' is good

They've all been excellent interruptions to my Baja plans: babies, travels, projects... I have no complaints!

See you down there someday
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #19

No reason you can't take the little nipper to Baja. We first took "The Boy" to Baja when he was 3 months old (the Girl didn't go until she was 3 years old). Humm, now that I think about it, perhaps we imprinted him a bit early:

Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Joel

Would love to do it, but SXSW is right in the middle of that and I have to give a talk. Let me know if you end up wanting to run around Oregon or Norcal.