Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Garage
Spring Camping at Toroweap/ Tuweap

We camped there in the summer of 2014 and loved it. We are wanting to return this upcoming March in the 12-23rd time frame. I've tried calling the ranger station to ask questions, but keep getting a busy signal, so I figured I'd check here. The North Rim is closed to vehicle camping (per the NPS wesite) until May 15. Does anyone know if this includes Toroweap? Also, the site says no vehicles allowed over 22' long, and our Sportsmobile EB is 24'. Since we've been there before, I know we can get it in and out with absolutely no problems as it's 4wd and has plenty of ground clearance. I also know other SMB's camp there. Do they actually measure the vehicles, or just eyeball them and say "yea" or "nay". When camping there before, one of our camp neighbors brought in a large lifted pop up camper with his Jeep Cherokee. The whole thing was much longer than 22' and he had no problems. Thanks for any advice.

brushogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

No, it doesn't apply to Torroweap although the road in could be a bit greasy that time of the year. Just a guess but the vehicle thing is mainly to keep the big RVs out. I wouldn't worry about it.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks. I guess we’ll try and make reservations and let the weather and road make the final decision.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Site Team

There is no snow there now and we haven't had any rain in months, so the road is very passable now. It's hard to tell what the roads will be like in March. If there is rain or snow then the roads will be muddy. If not, the roads will be fine. You won't need a reservation. There won't be very many people there in March. Let me know when you are going. I might join you.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Garage
Was there with VivaLaVida which is 22 feet long and that was fine. Is your extended SMB really 24' long?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

Garage
Bumper to bumper it’s 1 inch short of it. Good news! Got this reply this morning. It’s on guys!
“Alan,
The Tuweep campground never closes and depending on road conditions, you can make the decision to go in there. It does call for high clearance or 4X4 rides. Some people can make it in their smaller rides as long as they have the clearance. It is up to you with these vans, and we don't stop you from going in there. You can apply for the Tuweep ahead of time or you can stop at the Pipe Springs National Monument, too to get your permits.
Best,
Mindy

Backcountry Permit Office
Grand Canyon National Park”
Old 01-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Interesting. Never needed a permit to go there before. I wonder if this is something new.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #8

Garage
I guess it's a permit to camp, not to access to Toroweap. At least when I went there three years ago, I got a permit to camp on the primitive campground but not to access during the day.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

Garage
Looks like it’s going to be in October now. We’ve decided to wait until all the van mods are done, and use that 2 week trip for the shakedown cruise.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

I met up with 5 or 6 SMBs at Toroweap....I don't know how many years ago. Mac came in his 2wd van and on the last turn past the ranger camp hit a rock. Mike and REF and his wife and son and I think Steve and Mac and...and? Great spot. Long haul into it though. Ranger was cool. It was hot. Best story was Mac talking about riding a rented jet ski down the Colorado with a buddy and loosing it in a rapid just below the cliffs of Toroweap. He could point out the spot from the overlook. Great story Mac!

Chris and Ruth
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote