Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #11

Re: Sturgis SD Biker Rally

Thanks a bunch Doc. Got some beautiful places out in your neck of the woods. Hopefully, I'll get to visit again and I'll sure keep ya in mind when I come. Love that place.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #12

You have heard the saying " harley miles are like dog years"?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
You have heard the saying " harley miles are like dog years"?
haha, you got that right Randall, but hardtail miles are like centuries! lol In my gallery I have a bobber hardtail and also a BMW airhead hardtail that I cross country race. They make you appreciate the simpler things in life!!

The Beemer:

The Bobber:
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #14

That's a strange beemer. I've had 14 BMW's and my favorite was a R80 GS. I did milwaukee to barstow in two days when I was young and foolish on a R80.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
That's a strange beemer. I've had 14 BMW's and my favorite was a R80 GS. I did milwaukee to barstow in two days when I was young and foolish on a R80.
You are being too kind. That's a UGLY beemer! lmao But I love it. It's one of the most comfortable hardtails I've ever owned. Custom frame and front end. We stretched it out to take a lot of the pounding out of it. Extended the drive shaft about 10 inches. Got 14 gallons of gas so I can stay on the bike for 6 hours without a pit stop. It's awesome for cross country racing. Actually, we have started the race from Barstow a few times and now that I'm on this forum, I see where there are some backroads that start in Barstow for 4 wheel drives.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #16

I've had a dozen Beemers, been to ~10 BMW National Rallys, picked up 4 Long Distance Awards, racked up 250,000 miles riding Beemers, probably seen a half a million BMWs and have never seen anything like that!

Looks the engine is from a early to mid 70's /5 or /6. Did you design that front end? I've seen 70's and 80's airheads with early Earle's forks on them, but that trailing link front end is totally unique.

At the risk of starting another 'Gas vs. Diesel' type war, I'll say real motorcycles have 2 cylinders! Singles are acceptable, but twins rule!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I've had a dozen Beemers, been to ~10 BMW National Rallys, picked up 4 Long Distance Awards, racked up 250,000 miles riding Beemers, probably seen a half a million BMWs and have never seen anything like that!

Looks the engine is from a early to mid 70's /5 or /6. Did you design that front end? I've seen 70's and 80's airheads with early Earle's forks on them, but that trailing link front end is totally unique.

At the risk of starting another 'Gas vs. Diesel' type war, I'll say real motorcycles have 2 cylinders! Singles are acceptable, but twins rule!

Mike
Mike, I used to be stuck of EVO's, but after owning this BMW I'm hooked. This started off as a 1976 R90/6. I picked it up out of Atlanta for $3,500 and went to hacking. The front end is one that is typical of the old Indian leaf spring front ends. While it is custom, it is a copy of those. The frame is custom, but we kept the neck (which is wild in design) designed just as the German's set out in the 70's. These races we do, are not sponsored by Horse Backstreet Chopper Magazine, but they started there. The rules are simple, no shocks, no hard saddle bags, no rubber mounted engines, no windshields or farings, and no chase vehicles. You have to follow a course given to you at the time of the race. First one to the other side wins.....wins nothing. haha Hey, you can certainly brag if you win! lol
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350

Mike
I'll second that statement, before some stupid Admin bans this discussion. Had a 1991 Ducati 907ie that I used to ride all the time. I will say Ducati also produced a sweet 550cc single cylinder, four stroke race bike, the SuperMono.

Herb
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #19

Now that we've drifted into the world of crotch rockets, years ago my Harley buddies secretly bet I'd never make it after they dared me to ride my crotch rocket cross country on my old faithful crotch rocket. So in my ignorant bliss I strike out on the long and back breaking trip.

I swore I would never take a long trip on another crotch rocket. But as I age I often forget my pain. So I end up going to visit UJoint on my stretched and sprayed Busa. After a few hundred miles it came back to me very quickly how I swore in the past I'd never do it again. lol

My excitement of meeting Chris and seeing his 4x4 projects lifted my spirits on the way home. The trip was tolerable until the pain started creeping back in. Finally, I made it home. I swear I will never do a long trip on a crotch rocket again....at least until my memory fades to emptyness.

The end.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #20

That is a radical piece of work. And it looks like it is a neverending project, as I see several changes from one photo to the next.

I'd like to stop by and check it (and the other bikes) out. I'm guessing you are somewhere on the wrong side of the country, and I don't know if or when I will be that way again.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote