Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Rally, you're right. Rent me yours?

Josh, we absolutely did. Thanks again. I've been meaning to get in touch. I'm still catching up.

No problem. $1000 a day with a $75,000 cash deposit.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #62
Site Team

Garage
Most paid for fuel: $2.79 in central Washington
Least paid for fuel: $1.97 in Tn leaving and returning.

Hey at least you didn't get hit with higher priced gas we have here in CA. Looking forward to the report.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #63

Not about Scotty's trip, but... thought it made sense to add my question to this repository of info on the NW, rather than start a new thread.

Anyhoo... I'm headed to OR via Bozeman next week and The Google suggests 90 through eastern WA, then dropping down to the Columbia river gorge. So my question is about the OR side (I-84) vs. the WA side. Beside the obvious difference of interstate vs state highways, is either side nicer/more interesting?
If it's not crazy slower, I'd lean toward the smaller roads, but not if all the cool stuff is in OR.

Thanks!
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #64

Portland to Spokane via I-84 to 395 to 90 is pretty damn ugly. If at all possibly take the time to drive highway 2 or 20 through the North Cascades. Highway 20 is one of the most beautiful drives you can do and you have the option to stop in Marblemount and have yourself some Rockymountain oysters.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #65

Garage
Of course all the cool stuff is in Oregon! Heh heh heh

Seriously, tho, if you're talking about whether to take WA 14 or I84 towards Portland I'd do a little of both. Ride 14 on down to Biggs and cross onto 84 there. That way, you get to see some of the great views of the river from high up on 14, but after crossing into Oregon at Biggs Junction, you can stop at any number of places along the way: Hood River, Multnomah Falls, Crown Point, Bridal Veil Falls, etc. depending on how much time you've got, we have some beautiful spots to stop and have lunch.

Word to the wise as you're dropping down through Washington: watch your gas gauge. You can go for untold miles up there without seeing a gas station. The last time I came through that way, on the way home from Yellowstone, we rode into Biggs on pure fumes. It's a darn good thing it was all downhill at the end.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #66

If you can afford an extra hour or two of driving, I guess I'd also consider highway 12 across ID into Lewiston and then through Walla Walla, WA instead of taking I90.

Either side of the Columbia is nice, but I like Otter's suggestion of hitting SR14 to Biggs and then taking I84 west from that point.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Anyway, I am sorting pics and will work up a trip report soon, but since we aren't even traveling in an SMB or even a van these days I'm going to post in on Expo and just link it here. I believe the forum should stay focused on vans with a few minor exceptions, and that's too much of an exception even for me.
how much longer?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVo View Post
Portland to Spokane via I-84 to 395 to 90 is pretty damn ugly. If at all possibly take the time to drive highway 2 or 20 through the North Cascades. Highway 20 is one of the most beautiful drives you can do and you have the option to stop in Marblemount and have yourself some Rockymountain oysters.
Just make sure you're not heading West on 2 on a Sunday evening, or you could spend hours stuck in traffic. And while 20 is indeed a great drive, it adds a lot of boring I-5 to the route as well.

In addition to options mentioned, you could go south from Biggs Junction, which I've found a scenic drive. Also heading South from Hood River on hwy 35 to 26 is nice. As far as the gorge, I have done the OR side from Hood River west, and it was a LOT slower than 84. Both sides are fairly scenic.

Where to in OR?
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #69

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I'll take a look at the map when I get a break from prepping for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMTB View Post

Where to in OR?
Portland for a night or two, then we have state park reservations working our way down the coast (Ft. Stevens, Nehalem, South Beach (aquarium and Rogue), Oceanside).
Then we're *hoping* to score walk-up site at Cape Blanco for a few nights before heading to Dallas for the eclipse. My brother lives there and it just happens to be in the path of totality.
With the forecast madness, we'll be prepared to adjust plans and, worst case scenario, pop the top and set up camp in the middle of whatever highway we're gridlocked on and put on our fancy sunglasses.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
how much longer?
Hmmm. Life seems to have happened. I'll try to get my head around this again.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote