Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Summer trip planning - 2017 - PNW

Shoving off for the Pacific Northwest in a couple weeks. We're going to spend the better part of a month cruising around and exploring. We're heading out as soon as the kids get out of school.

I would love some pointers from the PNW crowd on out-of-the-way places and lesser known boondocking, hiking, etc. Last summer we had just a handful of nights of actual campgrounds in 20 plus days and I hope to do it again.

There are some busy, touristy places we want to hit but mostly we just want to get away from the noise as much as possible.

The rough outline: Leave home and head for central Colorado, stay with family a day or two.
Next, drive across to SLC, probably stay in the Big Cottonwood Canyon area.

Next, Boise area, then across to Bend where we will slow down and really cease to have an agenda. Shenrie and others, I would certainly love to know a great spot or two near Boise, maybe one of those awesome hot springs?

We want to spend some time around Bend and on the Cascade Lakes NSB, maybe head down to Crater Lake but we've been there a few times. Then meander up to the Portland area to visit family and friends, then to Olympic Nat'l Park.

I'm sure we'll detour up the Columbia River Gorge for a while and hopefully hit some of Gifford Pinchot but I don't know much about it.

After this we're definitely wanting to explore around Olympic NP and maybe see Seattle in a day but not much interested in cities. About this time we're flying the kids out of Seattle back home and the last 7 or more days are ours.

I really want to see the North Cascades but also don't know hardly anything about the area. Instagram constantly shows me the beauty of east and north of Seattle.

I've jotted down some spots I've seen pics of this past year and would love some pointers from those who are familiar.
In Oregon:
Tumalo Falls
Cane Prairie Reserve
Sparks Lake
Lost Lake
A million waterfalls/waterfall hikes

In Washington:
Lake 22 area
Granite Falls SP
Wallace Falls SP

Sorry for the long post. We'll be traveling in our 25' motorhome, the Sportsmobile Senior affectionately known as 'HERS'.
We need no hookup and have no fear of unpaved roads or pushing the limits of a small motorhome, but we're not planning on conquering the the Rubicon trail of course.

Any pointers welcome, Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #2

There is some great free camping at the end of Lost River Road near Mazama WA. Its off highway 20 and really is beautiful. An RV would have no issues with Lost River Road and the Mazama store has live music playing most weekends during the summer. Highway 22 through the North Cascades is a must do and well worth your time. If you think you might end up heading east on highway 90 there are a bunch of great spots to hide out between Spokane and Missoula. You would also be welcome to park at our house on the way through if you need to restock, recharge or wash up.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Garage
definitely can point you in the right direction when you get close. only problem is, we are at flood stage with most of our rivers and most hot springs are under water level right now. things are set to get ugly with our rivers when we start climbing in daytime temps...

you have my number feel free to call anytime. we can chat and ill get a feel for what you wanna see/do and recommend from there. june is a busy month for me and hard to break away from obligations, but would love to sit around a fire and bs with you and yours if possible. keep me posted on when youll be through.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Depending on the weather at the time, the floating the river from Tumalo Park down into town is a really fun and relaxing way to spend an hour or so. This time of year the water will be pretty cold though. The Three Creeks area above Sister's Or. is a neat spot to camp

If you come through Eugene let me know. I'd be happy to share a beer and offer some pointers on local places to check out.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Shenrie, I planned to call you anyway. I've just been meaning to get this post out for awhile.

CaptainVo, noted! Thanks. I'll be in touch.

Thanks Whit, noted as well!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Spend a morning at the Ape Caves north of Portland by Mt. St. Helens. The kids will love it. Bring really good flashlights!
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Before you commit to Hwy 20 through the Cascades, make sure it open. I'm not sure when they plan to open it, but as of today, there is a winter storm warning and it's still snowing up there, crazy huh? Otherwise, if you do end up near the San Juan islands, give us a shout, we may be in town (Anacortes) If you do, the beer is on me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Team

If you're into rockhounding,

A place I've wanted to go (looking for Star Garnets in the Idaho Panhandle NF)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ipnf/...telprdb5076397

A place I've been (obsidian from Glass Butte, Oregon)
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/desch...telprdb5381935

Herb
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #9

AT, awesome, errr, I guess. We'll be hitting Oregon first and not headed up there til after June 10 when we fly kids out of Seattle. Hopefully by then summer will have shown up, or at least Spring?

Keep it coming, thanks all.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

You may already know this, but driving across central Oregon is the way to go as opposed to going I 84. Faster, more remote, and I would contend just as beautiful. The Gorge is great but the traffic associated with that route is not.

Herb's Obsidian recommendation is a very good one too.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote