Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #61

Garage
If you have not been to the Canmore Alberta area before... the area/geology is spectacular to put it mildly. Here are a few random images around the Canmore area from trips my family has taken in our van over the last half dozen years or so (excluding the trip we took mid-winter).

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-XFPcv3

If you are in town early... I would recommend the following part-day trips:
1) Spray Lakes Reservoir (hwy 742)
2) Bow Valley Parkway (hwy 1-A)
3) Lake Louise/Moraine Lake
4) Lake Minnewanka Loop
5) Mt Norquay Scenic Drive

If you have even more time on the front end... go up hwy 93 to Jasper and back (multi-day).

Cheers,
TWOLOST

twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites View Post
Any updated info on the BackRoad map books?

From Ted's Facebook page:

"Backroads Mapbooks have come on board as a sponsor for the rally this year. Paper map books will be provided to everyone. The books will cover about half of the rally route (Chilcotin and Caribou Regions of BC), I'll try and mark up the route in the books."

I'd guess we will see these the first day rather than in the mail.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #63

Good news on the maps. Thanks for passing along the info from fb. And twolost your photos are wonderful. I travelled through the Kananaskas wilderness in my old Volvo wagon and sears tent tent trailer back in 1985. I think it is more south and close to the border above Glacier if I recall but memories of the spectacular beauty remain in my brain. Thanks for updating the brain pictures I took back then.
Chris
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #64

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
From Ted's Facebook page:

"Backroads Mapbooks have come on board as a sponsor for the rally this year. Paper map books will be provided to everyone. The books will cover about half of the rally route (Chilcotin and Caribou Regions of BC), I'll try and mark up the route in the books."

I'd guess we will see these the first day rather than in the mail.

That's great! Good thing we're getting that one, it's listed out of stock on the Backroads Mapbooks website....Ted probably cleaned out their stock when he got these map books for us.
7oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #65

Very exciting about the books! Thank you for the updates.

twolost - I have admired your pictures and trip reports for many years. You've always been a great example of sharing your experiences and showing us how to get out and use our rigs. Thanks again.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #66

Departure day is near, but I'm unsure when I'll be able to get out of here. I had a sale on my boat fall through a few days ago, but an hour later I got another offer for more money. Selling a big boat is a complicated process best attended to in person, so hopefully, the buyers are willing to either move quickly, or wait till I get back cuz, I'm out of here either way. Anybody on the road already, or leaving soon? What routes are you taking to the start of the rally?
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #67

Garage
A few of us are here. Chris Thwaites, his wife Ruth and I drove up together. Arrived yesterday. Hope all goes well Jeff. Sitting at a place with internet...
On the road...
Attached Thumbnails
image3.jpeg   image4.jpg  
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #68

Garage
Our two vans:
Attached Thumbnails
0ACD8E4C-3F26-4985-93CE-D3CB91A7E2D1.jpg   585CD5E3-06DA-44B5-A434-2BC78C2F256A.jpg   AA249F6C-8DEF-4B23-82AF-315E587173F3.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #69

Garage
Few more photos 🙂. May not have internet for next 11 plus days...
Attached Thumbnails
B657E936-4666-447E-B759-CA96333051FB.jpg   4777DDF2-F9A9-443F-8A2B-5D60BAF4F1A3.jpg   71532F79-108F-4CFB-81B3-6B2BD1517152.jpg   CC1DB4BF-AC98-407B-BDAE-E5BA9EF7FA48.jpg  
Old 06-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #70

I hope everyone made it safely to where ever they went after the rally. It was long and tiring at times, but quite rewarding. It quickly became clear that the route was more suited for adventure motorcycles due to the long daily distances covered, which on a motorcycle with long travel suspension is pretty easy. Still, the idea was to give everyone a chance to experience many different regions of Canada and it was certainly successful in that area. It was fun meeting everyone and spending time around the campfire at the days end. Best of all for me, I won the grand prize at the drawing, a new Garmin GPS complete with accessories and a years subscription to additional features, thanks Ted. All during the rally, I was formulating my next trip and deciding what aspects of the rally worked well and what needed to be modified for our SMB style of travel. So, I'm now formulating a group trip in my mind that will include short days of travel, more than one night in the best camps, (think ocean front beaches) opportunity's to take side trips to 4 wheel, explore ghost towns, fish, other opportunity's to ride single track motorcycle trails, and later in the summer to avoid mosquitoes. The first place that comes to mind is Vancouver Island. I've already done several trips up the island, and have found some spectacular camp spots, roads and historical towns along the way. I'd love to hear ideas on what to include and what makes a great group trip. Let me know what you think and stay tuned as this develops........
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8322.jpg   IMG_6263.jpg   IMG_6242.jpg   IMG_6239.jpg   IMG_6236.jpg  

Advanced 4wd